View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 10:42 AM

Default Re: .ptx file corruption-missing audio and video files- no way to relink-

Good to hear, hasn't happened to me again either. They got back to me with this, FYI: PM me if you want the .zip file.

Good day! Just got an update from our Engineering.

We don't yet know exactly why this can happen, but the theory is that at some point something causes the clip list of the open session to become corrupted and from that point on all session file backups are also affected by the same problem (but without any indication of a problem until the session is closed and reopened, at which point it's realized that the clip list has become truncated and assertion errors/invalid fade errors are posted).

So, for customers who have experienced this, we are asking them to enable some extra tracing to try and "catch" the problem if it should happen again. To add the tracing, you need to ask the customer to unzip the attached file and drop the included config.digitrace and DigiOptionsFile.txt files into their /Applications folder (or wherever the Pro Tools application runs from). Then, launch Pro Tools and work as normal.

If the problem occurs, as soon as the clip list becomes mangled (i.e. the start of the problem which the user would not normally see) an error message will immediately be posted that states "After <name-of-command> Pro Tools cannot resolve the session's clip list...".

If this message is seen, it's ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE that the following is then done immediately:

(1) Note down the date/time.

(2) Without doing anything in Pro Tools, immediately gather the last modified Pro Tools logfile from /Users/<username>/Library/Logs/Avid (and the previous one or two for good measure).

(3) Perform a Save As of the session, and send this .ptx (along with the last few session file backups) and the logs collected in step (2) to us for analysis.

(4) If the problem is identified quickly enough, the previous session file backup (i.e. before the "event" occurred) should open correctly and work can be resumed from that.

Note: tracing will only work with PT 2018.10 and higher"