Thread: Sound Design
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Sound Design

Tom for most of the production mixes we use the DEVA recorder clubbed with a mix of the Schoeps/Sanken/Nuemann/DPA/Senheisser situational dependent. Cooper and the Sound devices are at my disposal too. A lot of the run of the mill stuff gets recorded apart from the wild, wierd, the sounds crazy but i can use it somewhere stuff.

I think my post got a little misdirected and I am totally responsible. Well I started out with this post because I want to explore the use of s/w for Sound design and get input from people on the forum.

My deviation from the above point was a sound editors complaint i guess anywhere in the world.... tough time frames, budgets, quality, blah, blah, blah

Though its like mom repeating the same thing over and over, i think its also great we keep reminding ourselves about the basics, it about the film and not about the tools and I agree totally. Also since most people like me remind Walter Murch for the obvious yes it is notable to remember the era when Mono sound was prevalent. I grew up and worked in the Digital era where dubber and multi-tracks were phasing out and mono sound was for the insane. Yet at time when I look back and watch some of those films it always amazes me, they got all that sound out of 1 Channel.

Yes we do Sound Visualize our scenes to give it a charachter and a definition. We have a problem getting a film-maker on the same page some time because he is so used to standard stereo types, but heck we keep trying like dogs with crooked tails.

Sound Designer
Production Mixer
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1598555/