View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 11:05 PM

Default Re: recording with load boxes, cab ins, and all that

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
And I am curious on why you have latency. Its time to describe your usual setup/routing/plugin chain. I track direct guitars with no latency to speak of, whether its guitar>DI>Pro Tools with an amp sim plugin, or real amp with either mics or load box(none of which cause latency on their own)
Hey man,

No real “usual” setup. Mostly I like to use ProTools like a tape recorder when tracking, monitoring direct through console. This would be with the rhythm section for tracking you know, So we don’t put plug-ins or crap like that in the chain. That kind of stuff would go on hardware at the console if at all. Usually just eq. And I like to go to tape at the same time. So everything synced and split at the console outs , 24 to ProTools and 24 to 2-inch. That’s a big recording studio situation. Smaller situations maybe I just go to ProTools but I still usually don’t put plug ins In the path when tracking. Sometimes i will use stuff just to have a certain effect or something, but typically I try to just get good original sounds to begin with.

I know there is no latency with what you were describing, other than with amp sim plugs, but I’m talking about cab loaders impulse responses. Thinking there is going to be a way to monitor that before it goes into ProTools. Using hardware cab loader I guess, but they may still have a little latency.

Another possible issue with the cab IRs may be that they are not infinitely long, right? So long sustained notes [feedback tricks, e-bow, and so forth] may get weird. I don't know. It may not create any issue. Hmmm. Your cab simulator would not have that potential problem, but I hear some of the cab IRs sound great, that's why I got interested. I'm sure its all useful.

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 09-17-2018 at 02:19 AM.