View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Totally and utterly confused by licensing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTed View Post
The seller gave me the login to his Avid account and has posted the iLok, what is wrong with that? I already have an Avid account with Pro Tools HD for the commercial studio I run, this is for my home studio, I contacted support and requested to merge accounts. Is that way of doing it OK? I guess now as I have control of the sellers account I could do a transfer of ownership if that is the proper way to do it.

I only say 2018.7 as that introduced the MIDI key command shortcuts, the only reason I want to upgrade from Pro Tools 10 where I have happily been for years! I am not wedded to that version if 2019 is better.
I would go straight to 2019.6 if your OS etc. supports that... where CPU issues the plagued 11/12/2018 were largely addressed.

Transfer of ownership (in different flavors) been around for years and is the proper way of doing this. One problem with backdoor just handing over accounts is when you don't have access to the email accounts they are tied to. The other reason is is just the "right way" and vendors are under no obligation and may not want jump through hoops for you when something goes wrong. What if you lose the iLok? Do you have ZDT/TLC on it? With what email/contact info? etc. Things might work... but if they need to contact you via email... what happens. Do you have access to their iLok account? How do you install any license update Avid delivers? I't not clear to me you can just change iLok account settings, you certainly cannot pair that iLok with another iLok account you create.