Thread: Which Mac
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 04:25 PM

Default Which Mac

Good afternoon. I am just feeling overwhelmed in the information available and I thought it best to post here. I am currently using a Mac Pro 3.1 (2x3.2 quad 20 GB) running dosdudes Mojave patch. The video card is supposed to not be compatible but it works with a little visuals glitches. I have the educator Pro Tools 2020.5.0 and it works pretty well.

My issue is that I want two monitors for faster work flow, and running Mojave with the 3.1 only allows me 1. I’d also like a little more processing power. I have been looking into upgrading a computer but I’m running into so much technical info. For me it’s up to buying a 5.1 and upgrading, but still running a patched version of an OS. Buying a 6.1 and upgrading memory. Or a Mac mini 2020 with the fastest processor and 1gig SSD, and installing extra memory on my own.

I only use this as a hobby at home recording and at MAX like 25 tracks with 2-4 plug-ins on each. I don’t care about the Mac mini video card being meh because I don’t need the visual power.

I am leaning towards the Mini because of the current OS and it should last me a while. Educator discount can get me one for about $1,200.

Thoughts/opinions? And thank you so much.