View Single Post
Old 03-22-2016, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.5 preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor4814 View Post
Curious, re: Dropbox, do you work on sessions where the whole session folder itself lives in a local, Dropbox-synchronized folder, and updates/synchronizes with Dropbox cloud as you (and others) work... will Pro Tools run in that scenario?

No, how I work in Dropbox is in two scenario's. One I'm the mixing engineer, and the client records in a different DAW; so they upload truncated tracks into the Dropbox and then I load them into ProTools to mix. In this scenario, Collab is with PT is not relevant.

The second is I'm the recording engineer and someone else is mixing it. In the past, if they ran pro tools and had the same plugins, I would load the session with the files up. Generally, that's not the case, so as I complete tracking, I upload truncated tracks to the Dropbox for the mix engineer to load in their DAW of choice.

For those of you wondering, what's truncated?, it means all tracks start at the same Bar. That way whoever gets it can just load it in and have it line up. You have no idea how often I get tracks that are not like this.

It may not be as fast, but it's faster than the additional cost of going from 500mb free to 20g/month. Sometimes sessions take over a year! That's a huge expense, that I'm not carrying, that's billable. Clients won't like that! :P
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors