View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 04:00 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

This feels like a case of deja vu - didn’t we do this already a few years ago?!

One has to assume that Avid know who their customers are and the obvious focus on perpetual vanilla users (by far the biggest/standout $ increase) suggests that they will now take their chances with all the negativity and losing up to half of these users, in return for the remainder paying double or switching to their evidently preferred subscription model. It looks like the new management have decided what their target model looks like and we no longer fit in their plans ... but this time will surely follow through.

Many of us would prefer to stick with the application we prefer/enjoy but with the competition offering so much more value (in the case of Logic, Mac users are already paying the Apple tax so might as well benefit from their subsidised software) + unlikely they’ll backtrack again, I suspect they will succeed in shedding many customers this time.

I’m an occasional ‘hobbyist’ user who often goes many months without even launching PT, so probably not typical, but I guess Avid need to grow services sold to each customer, such as cloud storage, etc. to impress investors. Where else would any possibility of growth come from otherwise?

Like others, I’ve today extended my support plan for an extra year, well in advance of expiry, just to see how things pan out, but I also do not currently see myself giving up my perpetual licence and wouldn’t be surprised to see other segments/groups targeted aggressively in future also.