View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Waves DLS or DLI + Impact Server?

Just ordered from Sweetwater...

SoundGrid Connect Combo: Diamond + Impact SG Impact + Diamond Bundle $699.00
DLI SoundGrid Expansion Interface $594.00
Free shipping TOTAL: $1293

Not sure whether I'll keep my HD Native card or not but probably will keep it so I have the option to use the HD Native Driver or the Waves SG Driver.

Really hoping that the Waves SG Driver works beautifully with Pro Tools, Studio One and my 2010 Mac Pro 12 core.

In all what I'm hoping to achieve and other benefits:
- load lots of Waves plugins I already own with no latency hit when tracking
- work between DAWs without feeling the lameness of the Pro Tools drivers and buffer settings
- keep my existing Digi interfaces while essentially shedding myself of Avid.
- I keep my Mac Pro in a separate rack room in my studio which is where the impact server will go. My control room will add a single rack DLI to my already crowded rack and so no added fan noise etc. there.
- pricepoint is nice, I get an extra diamond license free that I could sell later or use on my laptop system.

I plan to make a video of my findings. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. Go Waves!

Also here's a reply from Waves to my questions...

Subject: Re: [#188446] Questions about Waves DLS vs. Waves DLI + Impact Server

Hi Justin,

"1.) Can you explain why I might want to run in IO mode vs SGP mode and vice versa?"

In I/O mode, the DLS is designed to act as a bridge between Pro Tools systems and the DLS's built-in DSP server. In this mode, the HD/HDX or HD Native system remains your playback engine, while the DLS appears as individual I/O units from which you can expand your studio by offloading your plugin processing to the built-in server and by connecting to additional SoundGrid I/Os.

In SGP mode, the DLS enables you to control a variety of DigiLink enabled I/Os, bridge your favorite DAW (Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Ableton, Pro Tools Native, etc.) with SoundGrid applications and ASIO/Core Audio drivers, and offload your plugin processing to the built-in DSP server.

"2.) Are the built-in ethernet ports on my 2010 Mac sufficient when in SGP mode to pass large amounts of audio?"

Yes

"3.) Is there really any reason for me to keep using my HD Native card? Wouldn't SGP using the Waves SG driver be better?"

I would most likely look into selling the HD Native card and just run in SGP mode, but the two mode option on the DLS/DLI gives you the choice.

"4.) Is the special still available where I get Diamond for free with the impact server?"

Yes this is available.

"5.) Honestly which is better DLS or DLI+impact. Pros for 1 is power, pros for 2 is, saving rack space."

The DLS offers the better Specs. The DLS includes a server comparable to the Server One. The DLI / Impact option will have lesser specs, but as you mentioned offers less space, separate hardware boxes allowing more flexibility, and the combo specials like the one you mentioned (Diamond + Impact for $1 less then buying the impact by itself).

Best Regards,

Waves Sales Team
+1-865-909-9200 extension 2
www.waves.com
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD

Last edited by Justin1524; 12-15-2017 at 11:54 AM.