View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 11:17 AM

Default Re: DPI scaling bug when using AIR plug-ins

I just wanted to share a somewhat complex workaround that finally did the trick for me. I was close last time I thought I had it worked out, but now it seems to work as intended. All my AIR plugins (instruments and effects) now scale properly on my 4k display at 200% scaling - even the score editor no longer causes PT GUI to shrink.

Please be warned: Use at your own peril, as there may be side effects I don't know about.

Procedure:

- Go to http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-fix-a...tion-displays/
- Here, you'll find a recipe that works by explicitly telling windows that ProTools.exe is not HiDPI aware.
- Follow the procedure as outlined, but the place in the recipe that refers to "Resource #24" can be replaced by "Manifest" when you have loaded ProTools.exe into the ResourceHacker tool. Under Manifest there's a resource called 1: 1033. Click on that to find the XML-style info you need to use in the rest of the recipe.
- Make sure you name the modified file ProTools.exe.manifest and place it in the same folder as your ProTools.exe file. Also, make sure you don't in any way edit the ProTools.exe file itself. (Perhaps best to make a backup copy of it before loading it into the ResourceHacker application.)

I assume some part of the code inside ProTools or, possibly, one of the dll's (such as aaxhost.dll) contains an instruction that tells windows that the application is DPI aware (which the recipe above explicitly tells Windows it is not, through setting the dpiAware flag to False).

I really hope this works for others as well if you're also on Windows 10 with a 4k display, having issues with AIR plugin causing "GUI shrinkage". Once Avid hopefully fixes this in a later release, perhaps best to delete the manifest file before you launch ProTools.