View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 02:39 PM

If you think switching ASIO sample rates and buffer sizes is painful with Pro Tools, you should try switching interfaces! The attachment shows how easy all of those tasks are with Ableton Live 9 Lite (comes free with lots of Focusrite products).

P.S. Would someone please let me know whether or not they can view/download that attachment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Well we had at least 2 if not 3 rather lengthy discussion threads on this very issue on the 3rd Party Interfaces forum here (with Focusrite). After several emails, Focusrite finally was able to duplicate the problem. But, as you point out, so far, no real solution. However, there is a workaround that, while a bit of a nuisance, at least allows you to switch sample rates between sessions without having PT lock up and all that. I can't recall who first suggested this, but it does work, at least for Windows.

You need to have ASIO4All installed and recognized by PT. First, create dummy sessions in PT for each sample rate you plan to use. No tracks, no audio, nothing at all IN the session. Save each one as "Session 44.1k", "Session 48k" etc. Then, if you're going to open a session with a different sample rate, 44.1k to 48k say, then first close out the session, but leave PT open. Switch the interface to ASIO4ALL, then open the dummy session for the new sample rate. Then switch the interface back to your interface device. Then close the dummy session open the new session. Everything should work. I"ve done this a lot and while it adds a few extra steps that take about 90 seconds, its better than having to reboot everything 3-4 times!

It is also important when switching sample rates between sessions to make sure that when you close the session you also close ANY Rewire VI's instantiated like Reason or Reaper. If you don't, then things will get messed up pretty badly.

Until Focusrite and any other 3rd party interface developers update their drivers to accommodate the specifics of PT, I don't know of any other way to do this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ableton_Part1.pdf (271.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Ableton_Part2.pdf (262.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Ableton_Part3.pdf (434.9 KB, 0 views)