View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 03:48 AM

Default Re: How to Record Kontakt 5 Studio Drummer

Okay, I'm having some serious trouble trying to get Studio Drummer to bus out to Pro Tools. I've read plenty, and watched tutorials, trying to figure out what seems like a relatively easy problem, so assume at least a bit of know-how here. That said, I would love to find out it's something really simple I'm missing.

I have four midi tracks running into an instrument track loaded with Kontakt Studio Drummer. No problems there, I can bus into Kontakt just fine.

My output busses from Kontakt are a different matter. I realize this causes problems for lots of people, but it seems like it's not all that complicated. Create some output busses, and in the mixer in Kontakt assign the individual pieces (kick, snare, etc) to them (snare on st.3 for example). Create a new audio/aux track in PT and assign bus->plugin->Kontakt->st.3 and that would make exceptional sense.

st.3 doesn't exist as an option in PTs. In fact, the only busses Kontakt shows in PTs are the Kontakt internal busses. More digging, this thread, looks like outputs 1/2 thru 9/10 don't like to show up. Okay, cool, make more output busses in Kontakt. Every new output bus I make is now assigned to 9/10. If I make 10 new channels, the last five busses in Kontakt are assigned to 9/10. 11/12+ do not seem to exist as an option of any kind, and since I can only see Kontakt's internal busses in PTs, but can't assign anything to them in Kontakt, this means nothing can be assigned via bus to anything anywhere in PT.

Not the apocalypse I know. I have a work-around in that I can at least mute my midi parts and record each piece individually, but honestly, what gives? Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on here? There is either something I am missing, or this is just a broken interface between the two programs.

Just to confuse me even further, it doesn't seem to matter if I assign every piece to these ninja channels, they still come out the master bus anyway, which might be what the master bus is intended to do, but I can't tell one way or the other.

If it helps, PT10 and Kontakt 5, no issues otherwise. I've spent more time trying to figure this out than just recording each piece individually while muting the rest, which is what I'm doing while I write this.

I just realized this would make more sense on some NI board, but just in case anyone here knows what's up I'll leave it.