Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Why doesn't the session always back up at the specified intervals? (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407823)

DJ Hellfire 12-29-2019 08:29 AM

Why doesn't the session always back up at the specified intervals?

I have my backup settings set to backup every 1 minute. Pro Tools almost never honors this setting and when I have a crash, 50% of the time I lose several minutes worth of changes. I understand the software choosing to not create a backup file if no changes are made but if I am actively making adjustments for several consecutive minutes, the software should be backing up every single minute and it is not! Why is that? :confused::confused::confused:

cwsand 12-29-2019 10:23 AM

Re: Why doesn't the session always back up at the specified intervals?

I don't know but the same thing happens to me. I have it set to 1 minute as well and at most it's every 2 minutes.

midnightrambler 12-29-2019 11:12 AM

I donít think a backup is made any time the transport is in playback.

amagras 12-29-2019 11:25 AM

I am not sure that time runs the same way when we are in Pro Tools

albee1952 12-29-2019 01:29 PM

FWIW, I just looked at the last batch on a song I was just working on and they are all 2 minutes apart(which is my setting).:o

cwsand 12-29-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightrambler (Post 2549273)
I don’t think a backup is made any time the transport is in playback.

I wondered about that - plus it probably doesn't backup when processing audio with AudioSuite, consolidating clips, commit/freeze, etc. I don't know if it waits until the process is done, or until the next increment to backup comes. With it backing up for me every 2-3 minutes I don't usually lose too much. Plus I tend to hit Command+S a lot while I'm working and of course, I have the session backed up on a separate drive.

WKG 12-29-2019 08:10 PM

I've had more crashes than I can remember after working for several hours where pro tools didn't save anything. I keep autosave set for every 5 minutes.

I have learned to do a manual save often, pro tools can't be trusted IMO.

WorldStudios 12-30-2019 01:10 AM

My take on this is that I think that Auto Save is to blame for some of the crashes I get. Therefore I have it set to 5 minutes and I try to do manual saves before performing dangerous tasks that have crashed Pro Tools before. To be honest, there are fewer crashes now than say half a year ago - but still too many. Probably related to some of my 1.000.000 plugins...

midnightrambler 12-30-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldStudios (Post 2549346)
My take on this is that I think that Auto Save is to blame for some of the crashes I get

Iíve definitely had this in the past, but Iíve not noticed it of late.

YYR123 12-30-2019 07:52 AM

Why doesn't the session always back up at the specified intervals?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2549275)
I am not sure that time runs the same way when we are in Pro Tools

[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Over the years and different variations of PT yes Iíve noticed the same thing - itís usually very random intervals

I also believe Auto Save to be somewhat of a bugger in the machine also, that and Undo levels