Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   PT 12.8.3 - last version for Win 7 Support!?! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395793)

TAMBOR 12-19-2017 05:04 PM

PT 12.8.3 - last version for Win 7 Support!?!

Even the money grubbers at Microsoft are supporting Windows 7 for a couple more years. But PT 12.8.3 is it for AVID.

I refuse to run Windows 10 because the forced updates, and telemetry. I also refuse to support Microsoft's move towards OS in the cloud,

So AVID, once my current support runs out, you won't be seeing any more of my money!!

junkgear 12-19-2017 05:35 PM

Re: PT 12.8.3 - last version for Win 7 Support!?!

There is always Mac.

zerodistraction 12-19-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAMBOR (Post 2464966)
Even the money grubbers at Microsoft are supporting Windows 7 for a couple more years. But PT 12.8.3 is it for AVID.

It's easy to look at moves like this as a cash grab, but as someone who's worked in software development, it's really not. These moves are motivated by a need to keep the software working reliably with the current feature set, and sometimes edge case issues come up on old operating systems. Suddenly, as a business it becomes a bad decision to continue to support old operating systems.

Also, Avid has one code base as far as I know. It would far more resource intensive and costly for them to maintain a separate code base just to support an old operating system.

Avid dropped support for macOS 10.10.5 recently with 12.8.1.

You just have to stay with the times and move forward if you can, or use your older operating system for as long as you can so long as your audio drivers continue to work properly.

noah330 12-19-2017 06:01 PM

I think it's less motivated by a money grab and more motivated by the level of stability/support they can reasonably provide.

Windows 7 came out in 2009. Windows 8 came out in 2012. In software development time that's a really, really long time.

I'm not really that excited about a cloud based os either. In fact, I can tell you that I run a Mac and hate the multiple sign-ins, etc... that seem to come up and having to link my computer to my iPhone and my work mac, etc.... I miss the old days of not having everything connected, but I'm sure I'm in the minority and that's where things are heading.

There's nothing wrong with staying on an old OS if it gets the job done. For a long time I ran a 24|Mix system on a Mac (10.6.3 IIRC) and it worked fine. If you want to run the newer software a newer OS is inevitable.

I really like the Mac OS, but I didn't like W7 (last PC OS I ran). I would say check out a Mac or bite the bullet and go for the newer PC OS. I'm sure after a couple weeks it will be fine.

Southsidemusic 12-19-2017 06:45 PM

And not surprisingly Microsoft who are the developers HAVE TO support their own software for a set period of time
Avid and others don't so basically 9years of Win7 is a really long support time and Avid has been doing that long enough. They need to move on and get the current PT versions working right and if that is going to happen they can't have people working with ancient OS versions.

And *not supported* doesn't mean it doesn't work, just that there won't be anymore fixes for Win7 moving forward. I bet you will still be able to run Win7 for quite some time

guitardom 12-19-2017 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAMBOR (Post 2464966)

I refuse to run Windows 10 because the forced updates, and telemetry. I also refuse to support Microsoft's move towards OS in the cloud,

So AVID, once my current support runs out, you won't be seeing any more of my money!!

Here you go. Your telemetry and updates problems solved.

http://www.pro-tools-pc.com/data-col...-phone-home-2/

guitardom 12-19-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkgear (Post 2464969)
There is always Mac.

Avid still supports Snow Leopard??? Came out the same year as Win 7 ;)

TNM 12-19-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkgear (Post 2464969)
There is always Mac.

The MAC situation is far worse, sorry to say.

You dropped 10.10 support for mac, which is a 3yo OS exactly. Win 7 is 9 years old.

You guys are doing the steinberg thing by forcing cutting edge OS on the users.

Guess what, 10.10 worked better on both my macs than 10.11 or 10.12 ever did.

Not only that, i am still waiting for updates for stuff I can't use on Sierra. Everything just "worked" on 10.10.

I came very very close to leaving PT because of this. If i didn't like it so much, I would have. I tried Mixbus, S1 V3 and DP9.5, which all work even prior to 10.10.. I even got Motu telling me via email that it was unlikely that even V10 of DP would drop yosemite support.

DP was the one i got very close to moving to. The lack of tempo file browser (or any browser at all) and no clip mode in the main midi edit page was what put me off it, as I don't think I could have gotten used to it. S1 works but is just so ugly and besides seeming to be so called feature laden, is actually anaemic in my mind vs pro tools. i.e it has a whole lot of GUI madness for not that much DAW. The only thing it has over PT is the ARA support, that's it. But if the recent avid poll is anything to go by, i have a feeling we are going to get elastic pitch integrated in PT. I realise you can't do ARA for melodyne as that requires VST3 compatibility.. once i found that out, it suddenly dawned on me why we hadn't seen such a "simple solution" in PT. ;) Oh, and besides the saturation on busses, mixbus was the worst DAW i have ever used. Ever.

Any way, this OS thing is annoying, believe me.

You see, we DO want to stay up to date with PT, and therefore, we ARE forced to upgrade OS. Heck, i upgraded my OS just for those minor midi additions in 10.8.2, as they make working without a mouse easier to select stuff.

I for one, well, for two now, and with all due respect, kindly ask Avid to reconsider this. Before, many years ago, Avid were NOT on the bleeding edge with regards to OS. They took their time and supported legacy OS, in fact it was the new OS support users had to wait for. I for one, wish that golden era was still around, as I *hate* being cutting edge with my OS.

In fact, if UAD and PT supported it, i'd happily be on Snow leopard today. For a DAW, NOTHING since snow leopard has done anything for me.. I don't use a single feature of the new OS.. all i see instead, is more and more bloat every OS release, and lower performance. Nothing shut down and booted as fast as snow leopard, and there was no lag with any DAW.. it was lightning fast.

Best thing apple have ever done, and then 10.10 was where i was comfy again.. but i've lost that too now. Sierra is darn awful, not as bad as el crapitan, but awful none the less.

I even considered moving to windows, I hate apple's OS policy THAT much, as i know i can build a lightning fast machine at a cheap cost, that will be a whisper quiet tower and i can put a giant 30" samsung *MATTE* screen on it with 2560X1600 res, rather than all the glossy glare of apple stuff. I'd go straight to Win 10 if I did that, so personally re PT updates, i'd be good (but i a, very sorry for the other windows users, as i know Win 7 well, and like snow leopard, it just works)..
But, no, i won't do that either. I will put up with apple and avid forcing me to use sierra (el crapitan is not even in the running). Why? Because i have over 20 custom key commands i have created that makes my pro tools life SO much easier as i don't have to go into the menu. For example, activating or deactivating page scrolling. I actuallly couldn't handle going into the menu every time i wanted to do that, and that is enough to deter me from windows. Right now i have command/alt/ctrl/space.. to activate page by page, then command/alt/ctrl/N to go back to "none". Delete track is command/alt/ctrl/D. How easy is that. No more right click delete.

(on a sidenote and a total tangent, PT is the only daw that actually exists, that doesn't have a built in key command for turning scrolling on or off, and is again, the only daw in existence that requires the transport to be stopped to do so. This is really archaic and I hope avid fix it).

If there's a way to do custom key commands on windows, that does NOT impact performance (with apple it's all part of the OS and takes a few seconds to do), then i'll look at Win 10. I believe at least in that case, once i come to grips with it, that avid would keep win 10 compatibility for around 5 years.. that's my guess.. at least.. which would mean i could enjoy 5 years of pro tools upgrades without worrying about my OS.

Oh, does Win 8 work? or is it JUST win 10 from now on?

deanrichard 12-19-2017 10:56 PM

I was a PC Software Engineer for many years before my retirement. In the business world, supporting old versions of MS operating systems was expected. I worked on software that supported Windows NT well past 2010. Reaper still runs on XP, which came out in 2001.

Not supporting Win 7 seems ridiculous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noah330 (Post 2464971)
Windows 7 came out in 2009. Windows 8 came out in 2012. In software development time that's a really, really long time.

TNM 12-20-2017 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanrichard (Post 2465008)
I was a PC Software Engineer for many years before my retirement. In the business world, supporting old versions of MS operating systems was expected. I worked on software that supported Windows NT well past 2010. Reaper still runs on XP, which came out in 2001.

Not supporting Win 7 seems ridiculous.

right.. it's literally different with apple who break things non stop.. Microsoft have always cared about backwards compatibility.