Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Multiple VI inserts on instrument track (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405773)

gdgross 07-29-2019 03:59 PM

Multiple VI inserts on instrument track

I have a MIDI part that I would like to trigger two virtual instruments at once. Do I need to duplicate the midi part on a separate instrument track for the second instrument? Or can I use serial inserts on a single instrument track?

ie, will the second instrument "override" the first one, or will they both sound?

I ask as I will probably do some editing to the midi info and it'd be easier to only have to edit a single midi region...

Thanks!

64GTOBOY 07-29-2019 07:43 PM

Re: Multiple VI inserts on instrument track

You can route a midi track to multi outs but keep an eye on core usage, i.e. VI per track generally works better than multiples on one track IME

musicman691 07-30-2019 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY (Post 2534087)
You can route a midi track to multi outs but keep an eye on core usage, i.e. VI per track generally works better than multiples on one track IME

Not quite what he's looking for as the op wants to do it on one track which I don't know if it would work. But yours is the best solution.

Really when you think about it from a mixing perspective separate tracks hosting each vi is better. You can adjust levels independent of each other.

TOM@METRO 07-30-2019 07:31 AM

I it were me, I would just duplicate the track and change the VI on the new track.

musicman691 07-30-2019 07:55 AM

How to deal with two instrument tracks and you want the MIDI the same:
mirrored MIDI editing should do the trick

gdgross 07-30-2019 08:51 AM

Mirrored midi editing, I'll have to look into that - sounds like the right approach, thanks!

When i get to mixing, i would bounce out to audio anyway, if I didn't reamp with a real synthesizer first. This is more of an arrangement stage. :-)

DetroitT 07-30-2019 10:49 AM

In the midi out. Select multiple out channels.
Inst1 xpand. midi out to xpand then shift-control and add 2nd vi
Inst2 2nd vi
Note the vi’s need to be inserted for them to show.

DonaldM 07-30-2019 10:50 AM

As with everything else in the DAW world, there's no one "right" way to do anything. For what you want to do, Tom's solution above is the easiest and probably best option. That's how I normally would do this if I want to use the same MIDI sequence on multiple instruments - for different ARPs for example.

Ben Jenssen 07-30-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2534131)
As with everything else in the DAW world, there's no one "right" way to do anything. For what you want to do, Tom's solution above is the easiest and probably best option. That's how I normally would do this if I want to use the same MIDI sequence on multiple instruments - for different ARPs for example.

Me, I would probably create two aux and a midi track, but I'm old. :cool:

musicman691 07-30-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2534131)

But the op wants to have both tracks playing the same.
I've done it all the different remedies outlined here and find no one way better than the other.

One insurance thing I've learned to do when making massive MIDI edits is to have a MIDI track that holds a copy of the original MIDI with no mirrored editing. Saved my bacon more than once.