Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Avid Audio Interface (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408523)

Bfearr 02-14-2020 10:49 PM

Avid Audio Interface

Since the demise of the mBox, I have been using Komplete Audio 6. It's driving me nuts too often. Can you suggest an Avid interface that isn't extremely costly? I'm a Windows 10 user. Thanks

The Weed 02-15-2020 07:23 AM

Re: Avid Audio Interface

Don't think you'll find a cheap one, best to go the third party route. How many I/O do you need and what's your budget. For me, on Windows, Audient at the low end and RME higher up the dollar range with probably the best Windows drivers, UAD if you absolutely have to have their plug-ins although I've read their Windows drivers are not the best.

nst7 02-15-2020 07:37 AM

People seem pretty happy with the Focusrite interfaces as well.

albee1952 02-15-2020 09:26 AM

If you have a firewire connection, a used 003 Rack can be a bargain(bought mine for $90 at a pawn shop):o

JCBigler 02-15-2020 09:40 AM

The Focusrite Clarett interfaces, both Thunderbolt and USB are very stable on Protools and Windows. I own the Clarett 4Pre as well as the Red 8Pre and used to own the Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt before I upgraded to the Red 8Pre. All were very stable.

I also own a Roland OctaCapture, which use occasionally for recording but mostly for measurement and system tuning. And I have an Apogee One that I use in the hotel while on the road for editing and mixing... haven't recorded anything with it yet.

EGS 02-16-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bfearr (Post 2554288)
... interface that isn't extremely costly? ...

A while ago, I needed to replace a dying I/O for my portable rig. I took a chance and tried this: https://www.behringer.com/Categories...ogtrans(en|en). I was skeptical about the "B" company:eek:, but this box is all good:D. Nice pres/drivers/build quality. Even the headphone amp is loud & clean. No complaints. They make smaller versions, too.

JFreak 02-16-2020 12:17 PM

Focurite seems to be the company to get most good reviews. And they sometimes give away free plugins to their customers

TNM 02-16-2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Weed (Post 2554318)
Don't think you'll find a cheap one, best to go the third party route. How many I/O do you need and what's your budget. For me, on Windows, Audient at the low end and RME higher up the dollar range with probably the best Windows drivers, UAD if you absolutely have to have their plug-ins although I've read their Windows drivers are not the best.

The windows thunderbolt drivers are fantastic (for asio) with UAD. If you need an all in one to browse and play games as well, well then no, as their WDM drivers aren't the best. The problem is with the USB3 drivers for the twin.. go thunderbolt with a good gigabyte motherboard and you'll be fine.

I use pro tools at 32 buffer on my imac pro in bootcamp, with 6 UA devices connected, and I never, ever raise it above 32. It's amazing and absolutely solid as a rock.

RME are great interfaces and have terrific drivers for sure :)

I won't go anywhere near anything focusrite when it comes to interfaces..

Honestly on windows i'd go RME, Quantum or UA Tbolt.

TNM 02-16-2020 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2554409)
Focurite seems to be the company to get most good reviews. And they sometimes give away free plugins to their customers

They are consistently in the worst performance per buffer size in windows interfaces.

The thunderbolt ones are ok though I think.

There is a massive topic for this at gearslutz, testing tons of windows interfaces at various buffer sizes vs amount of plugins.. RME always at the top, as is presonus. UAD Tbolt not far behind, but that's mitigated by the fact you can use the dsp on board for your effects monitoring.
Focusrite USB stuff right at the bottom. I don't remember where the Tbolt was but I can find it.

The RTL of their usb stuff is horrible too.

JFreak 02-17-2020 07:37 AM

Reviews tend to focus on features and sound quality, not RTL numbers (which are good enough if most can record and monitor with them). Maybe their Windows drivers suck big time? I wouldn't know, everyone I know is on Mac