Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   about to upgrade to new computer, HD Native, PTHD 10...thoughts on build? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=311750)

jonathan jetter 11-13-2011 12:18 PM

about to upgrade to new computer, HD Native, PTHD 10...thoughts on build?

hi all-

having done some research...it is time to upgrade my old system (PT HD PCI-X on an old Q6600.....still running Win XP + PT 7.4)

looking at:

2600k i7 CPU
Asus P8Z68-V Pro mobo (based on recent success stories posted here)
Corsair XMS3 memory
OCZ Agility SSD (for system drive)
Windows 7 Home Premium (i'm fine with 16gb RAM limitation)

anything look fatally bad here? good chance that this will work with an HD Native card?

thanks,

jon

filosofem 11-13-2011 04:12 PM

Re: about to upgrade to new computer, HD Native, PTHD 10...thoughts on build?

That 16GB cap might bite you in the butt with Disk Caching support with Pro Tools 10. And I'd discard that SSD. Last I heard SSD was still not Approved by Avid as an audio nor system drive. Ummm... you're not prepared to wait for Intel Core i7-3xxx (6-Core) LGA 2011 X79?

mfefc 11-13-2011 11:07 PM

Check my sig, your in my exact situation i was in 3 months ago, i had a q6600 and then upgraded.

Your prob not going to like my advice but i would suggest holding out till PT 11.

I have 16gig ram just sitting there doing nothing due to pro tools 32bit, and no standalone asio drivers either for hd native, win7 64, to run virtual instruments standalone. I still have the same buffer errors etc.

I fear i upgraded at the wrong time. It might be a year or so by the time pt11 comes, by then my computer will most likely be 'standard' If you wait, for the same price your willing to spend now, you'll be able to get a kick arse, totally up-to-date system, that you could actually utilise within pro tools.

Thats just what id do if i had a second chance. I stupidly was banking on pro tools 10 being 64bit, i was wrong.

TCM 11-14-2011 04:20 AM

Intel released new CPUs and the X79 chipset today.
According to Tom's Hardware there is a 17% performance increase overall.

Greg M 11-14-2011 05:25 PM

PTHD10 has a 64bit ASIO driver.

Greg

jonathan jetter 11-15-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCM (Post 1865596)
Intel released new CPUs and the X79 chipset today.
According to Tom's Hardware there is a 17% performance increase overall.

yes. but i'm also interested in stability, and known compatibility.

i think it's a safe bet that a slightly overclocked 2600k on a known-to-be-functional motherboard will be more CPU power than i'll want or need.

i'd like to upgrade now...lots of new plugins and softsynths i would like to use. and clip gain would be such a timesaver....

twdwyer 11-15-2011 08:12 PM

I'm in exactly the same boat. Just threw down on PT HD Native, coming from TDM pci and the Q 6600 quad as well. I can reuse my video card, drives, case and power supply and really need just the motherboard, CPU, and ram. Wondering what I can get for a budget of about $800. Suggestions?
Thanks!

TCM 11-16-2011 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan jetter (Post 1866541)
yes. but i'm also interested in stability, and known compatibility.

i think it's a safe bet that a slightly overclocked 2600k on a known-to-be-functional motherboard will be more CPU power than i'll want or need.

i'd like to upgrade now...lots of new plugins and softsynths i would like to use. and clip gain would be such a timesaver....

I guess the 2600K with a suitable mobo has the best price/performance ratio right now.

But keep in mind that the new chipset and CPU have quad channel Ram.

twdwyer 11-16-2011 05:48 AM

The 2600k looks like the CPU ill be going with, any recommendations for a great motherboard? As said before, stability / compatibility is key.
Thanks,
Tommy

Mascola24 11-16-2011 03:24 PM

From my recent experience, I would avoid a z68 chipset. I bought a GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD5 mobo a few months ago and my system still is getting errors (-9092, and -9093) everytime I try to playback or record. I'm not saying it is definitely the mobo, it could just as well be a driver or a utility causing the errors, but I have narrowed down the cause of problems to one of those things.

I'm surprised to hear success stories with the Asus P8Z68-V Pro mobo, I would be interested to know if there are any significant differences between the Asus P8Z68-V Pro mobo and the Gigabyte Z68 mobo I have.