Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Mbox not working after mac goes to sleep (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=142318)

asiabackpacker 07-19-2005 11:11 PM

Mbox not working after mac goes to sleep

Can't find any answers to this already posted, maybe someone here can help.

Whenever my Mac comes out of sleep mode, I need to reboot my Mac before the Mbox will work. This is especially true when wanting the play music from iTunes. Sometimes PT will work, but I can never get the Mbox to work playing audio from other apps. The USB light on the front of the unit does not light up and that is how I know when it is not working.

If it doesn't work with PT, I get the error that the Mbox is not connected.

Either of these problems is solved by a reboot.

I'm sure I haven't always had this problem.

Any ideas?

1.8 Dual G5 1.5 Gig RAM
PTLE 6.4

Thanks!

Rail Jon Rogut 07-19-2005 11:31 PM

Re: Mbox not working after mac goes to sleep

Don't let your Mac go to sleep. (Read the Getting Started Guide)

Rail

Runaway 07-20-2005 12:42 AM

It's a requirement that you disable the sleep function on your Mac to use the Mbox. How did you miss that one?

AverageJoe 07-20-2005 06:30 AM

I have recently moved from a PowerPC / 001 to a PowerBook / MBox setup and had forgotten about that sleep thing since I never let my desktop machines sleep.

I know I've put my powerbook to sleep w/ MBox connected and I think I just disconnected and reconnected it to get it working again. Now, this was not with a session open I don't think, but nonetheless, I'm pretty sure it worked out w/o a reboot.

asiabackpacker 07-20-2005 08:33 AM

Does anyone know anything about the power consumption involved with never putting your computer to sleep? Sleep, as you probably know, is a very low energy mode comprable to having your computer turned off. I would imagine to leave your computer turned on constantly would consume a lot of power,,, but maybe not...any ideas?

Seeee 07-20-2005 08:45 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know anything about the power consumption involved with never putting your computer to sleep? Sleep, as you probably know, is a very low energy mode comprable to having your computer turned off. I would imagine to leave your computer turned on constantly would consume a lot of power,,, but maybe not...any ideas?

"it hurts when i do this"

so dont do that.

do you know how much $$ I spend keeping a 48 channel analog console powered up all the time? it has 2 power supplies and you know what... the mixer thanks me.

so you might save 5.00 a month by shutting down. does it really matter? quit being so cheap! a damn computer? good thing you werent operating a studio in the old days. studios do not generally get shut down or "sleep"

tele_player 07-20-2005 09:15 AM

There are several things to consider here.
The recommendation to not use sleep when using ProTools is so the computer doesn't go to sleep automatically in the middle of recording. That would be unfortunate.
The failure of the Mbox when coming out of sleep would be a bug in the Digidesign USB driver code for the Mbox.

A solution is:
- don't enable auto sleep in Energy Saver Preferences while the Mbox is connected
- unplug the Mbox before manually putting the computer to sleep

Other USB audio devices handle sleep correctly - such as the iPod and the Radio Shark. That's why I suggest it's a Digidesign bug.

jlcnyc 07-20-2005 09:26 AM

my solution:
set cpu to never go to sleep (as suggested by Digi) ......BUT put the cpu to sleep manually when not using ProTools.
(Obviously, quiting the ProTools application is required.)

deepfrequencies 07-20-2005 09:31 AM

I don't have any problems with my Mbox when putting my powerbook to sleep (by closing it). However, if I don't quit PT before I put it to sleep it will sometimes act funny; like it won't engage play mode after waking up. asiabackpacker, do you leave PT running when you put your computer to sleep?

Mbox, 1 Ghz Titanium, 10.3.4, 6.4

tele_player 07-20-2005 10:03 AM

You've got to not have ProTools running AND not have DigiCoreAudio running when the system is put to sleep.