Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Need a Mac for Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408828)

The_Bear 03-08-2020 01:21 AM

Need a Mac for Pro Tools

Hi there :)
I'm a student learning Pro Tools and I need to buy a suitable Mac.
Problem is, I don't have a clue on which one to choose. iMac or Mac Pro, and which model to choose.

I would love to get some recommendations and tips, thanks in advance ;)

creativecontrol 03-08-2020 06:03 AM

Re: Need a Mac for Pro Tools

Greetings,

This very much depends on what kind of work you expect to perform with the machine. I would start by having you reference the list of approved and qualified computers for Pro Tools here:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...m-Requirements

If portability is essential, one of the MacBook Pro’s can certainly fit the bill. The 2018 Mac Mini systems, when upgraded, can also be exceptionally capable workstations. Start with the above link and assess your requirements and work within your budget to procure a machine.

best,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The_Bear 03-09-2020 07:58 AM

Thanks for the reply Jeff!
I search for a Desktop, portability doesn't really matter to me.
Is there any difference between the iMac and the Mac Pro for Pro Tools? Any performance differences or something?
Thanks in advance

creativecontrol 03-09-2020 09:00 AM

Of the currently qualified Mac machines on that list, the iMac Pro’s are some of the most capable, certainly more so than the 2013 Mac Pro machines.

best,

Jeff

zoff 03-09-2020 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativecontrol (Post 2556525)
Of the currently qualified Mac machines on that list, the iMac Pro’s are some of the most capable, certainly more so than the 2013 Mac Pro machines.

best,

Jeff

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. I can't run Catalina because of serious graphics issues could this be because of only 16 Gigs of RAM or do you think its software related?

Southsidemusic 03-09-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoff (Post 2556536)
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. I can't run Catalina because of serious graphics issues could this be because of only 16 Gigs of RAM or do you think its software related?

Do you have a metal Graphic compatible card in that mac as it is needed from Mojave and onwards.

Edit:

Sorry yes you do have that. Just wanted to make sure ;)
https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.cnet...-macos-mojave/

zoff 03-09-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2556540)
Do you have a metal Graphic compatible card in that mac as it is needed from Mojave and onwards.

I’m not sure but Pro Tools graphics are fine with Mojave, it gets very psychedelic in Catalina as soon as I move anything in the interface.

zoff 03-09-2020 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoff (Post 2556542)
I’m not sure but Pro Tools graphics are fine with Mojave, it gets very psychedelic in Catalina as soon as I move anything in the interface.

As a followup, The built-in display uses a Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB card and the external uses NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB. I have the same issue on either display.

corp 03-09-2020 01:53 PM

Avid still not supporting MP7.1.

Quote:

ALERT: New Apple Mac Pro not supported with Pro Tools
The new Apple Mac Pro (released on December 10th, 2019) is not yet supported with Pro Tools. Support information will be announced as soon as it is available.

Southsidemusic 03-09-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corp (Post 2556556)
Avid still not supporting MP7.1.

You dont need to post that in every thread about Mac as 2020.X is not out yet so a new version of PT need to come our before support!

And we have two new Mac Pro’s coming and our friends have theirs already as ours have been delayed due to corona issues in china.

The new 7.1 Mac Pro works GREAT SUPER STABLE with 2019.12 so no need for support. And I can assure that they will have support before you will get one.

corp 03-09-2020 02:09 PM

If the 7.1 Mac Pro works GREAT SUPER STABLE with 2019.12 so no need for support ..........then why doesn't Avid change the support statement on their site?:rolleyes:

Southsidemusic 03-09-2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corp (Post 2556562)
If the 7.1 Mac Pro works GREAT SUPER STABLE with 2019.12 so no need for support ..........then why doesn't Avid change the support statement on their site?:rolleyes:

Do you know how many computers that are Not officially supported by Avid that works great daily for thousands and thousands of people?

Avid hasn’t supportd the new MP as it has to do with the PCIe cards and I would think that next PT version take care of that. Many here on the forum has the new Mac Pro and it works Perfectly fine and with HDX cards too. Why are you soo angry and rude about this? If you have one you would know and if not then whats your problem!?

zoff 03-26-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoff (Post 2556536)

I've done some trouble shooting, the issue seems to be software related. On my Mac I have two partitions, one is my main partition where I have the graphics issues with Pro Tools (I just notice a very similar issue with Studio One) on the second partition I had Pro Tools working fine with Mojave, now I updated the partition to Catalina (yes I do have a clone of Mojave) and Pro tools works fine there too! So the same computer and same version of Catalina works fine on one partition and not the other.
What could be the problem? I'm stomped. Maybe I should start a new thread?