Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Commit to elastic audio questions (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=244685)

AURORA4DTH 04-23-2009 10:14 PM

Commit to elastic audio questions

Have any of you guys had any issues when using the commit to audio function?
Basically I have been having two issues. First let me say I have a tendency to cut alot in elastic audio tracks and drag them around with the trimmer tool, i know this isnt the best method perhaps but I work fastest this way.
Anyway sometimes when committing When a the task manager has finished doing its thing
1. I get random Static noises in my tracks. Very very loud Static noises. They appear very randomly and not very often but they do happen.
2. I get files that never return they just basically stay light blue and missing the region. I then have to drag back from one the regions that are in tact and re do the elastic stuff.

Anyone have any issues like this? Any info is appreciated.

DigiTechSupt 04-24-2009 09:18 AM

Re: Commit to elastic audio questions

The way you're working is not the way it's intended - you should do all edits and commit them (fades, trims, etc.) before doing any elastic audio, or you should commit your elastic audio, THEN do the edits, fades, etc.

If you have fades on an elastic audio track and commit it, there's likely to be glitches, as you're seeing. Look up 'micro-fades' in the PT Reference Guide (I think it's page 597) as it goes into more detail about this.

AURORA4DTH 04-24-2009 03:39 PM

Thanx for the info!

gdugan 04-25-2009 08:00 PM

So to avoid these "pops" that are described (on page 794), what is the best workflow? On an elastic audio track, after "warping" the audio, and mixing and crossfading elastic audio and non-elastic audio regions, should one:

1. Disable the elastic audio plug in.

OR

2. "Render" the elastic audio.

OR

3. Consolidate the regions.

OR

4. Some combination of the above.

peppertree 04-25-2009 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 1388613)
The way you're working is not the way it's intended - you should do all edits and commit them (fades, trims, etc.) before doing any elastic audio, or you should commit your elastic audio, THEN do the edits, fades, etc.

If you have fades on an elastic audio track and commit it, there's likely to be glitches, as you're seeing. Look up 'micro-fades' in the PT Reference Guide (I think it's page 597) as it goes into more detail about this.

Sounds like YOU guys are doing it wrong. Editing should be ad-hoc and if elastic audio can't deal with the traditional editing tools then you have more work to do.

:o

TCDet 04-25-2009 09:40 PM

For me it's:
3. Consolidate the regions.

Just try it see if it works for your material.
It's quick, decisive and when you turn off ea there's no further rendering.
Also for EA-Pitch this allows you to continue with greater than octave changes.

TC

PS. I also sometimes have blank non ea tracks to just drag n drop onto. This also renders out the regions.

I also generally work in tick-mode. Seems smoother.

Kenny Gioia 04-26-2009 08:12 AM

If all else fails, print to new tracks. What you hear is what you'll get. It's foolproof.

danander11 04-26-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia (Post 1389313)
If all else fails, print to new tracks. What you hear is what you'll get. It's foolproof.

+1 for this method.

Peace!