Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Weird Clipping on Master Fader (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=397695)

gus95 03-05-2018 05:43 PM

Weird Clipping on Master Fader

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone!!

I noticed that the Master Fader in my session is clipping way too easily even though the levels of the other tracks are OK.

In order to resolve the issue I have tried many things such as adjusting the levels of my audio interface, adjusting the buffer size, creating a new session, re-installing Pro Tools and changing the sample rates, but nothing seems to work out.

I've attached 3 photos to illustrate what I am trying to say, and in the third one you guys will see that there are two "squares" (sorry for being a noob:confused:) above the green level bars that are causing the Master fader to clip.

If anyone could lend me a helping hand that would be much appreciated.

Thank you :-)

Sardi 03-05-2018 06:54 PM

Weird Clipping on Master Fader

You have your metering set differently on your master compared to your channels.

Right click on the master fader level meters and change it to something like Pro Tools classic. Basically, change it to a Peak Meter.

FYI - you should lower the output of the VIs so that you’re not running the channels so hot. You’ll need a bit of headroom once you start stacking instruments and most VIs have their output levels set close to zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gus95 03-06-2018 05:13 AM

Re: Weird Clipping on Master Fader

Thank you, Sardi for your reply.

When I get home tonight I will try what you suggested and give you feedback :-)

TNM 03-06-2018 06:11 AM

it really just looks normal to me, that your other tracks combined are enough to clip the master output..

YYR123 03-06-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2478621)
FYI - you should lower the output of the VIs so that you’re not running the channels so hot. You’ll need a bit of headroom once you start stacking instruments and most VIs have their output levels set close to zero.

I agree with both of these statements.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNM (Post 2478667)
it really just looks normal to me, that your other tracks combined are enough to clip the master output..

I agree with both of these statements.

gus95 03-07-2018 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2478621)
You have your metering set differently on your master compared to your channels.

Right click on the master fader level meters and change it to something like Pro Tools classic. Basically, change it to a Peak Meter.

Sardi, you were completely right. Right clicking the master fader meters and setting them to Pro Tools Classic solved the issue from the third picture.

Also, I noticed the levels on my AI were too low and the output of my VI's were to high, causing the master fader to clip.

Thanks a lot for your time and help :D

gus95 03-07-2018 05:41 AM

Sardi, you were completely right. Right clicking the level meters on the master fader solved the issue of the third photo.

Also, I noticed the levels on my AI were too low, and in addition, the output levels of my VI's were too high, causing the master fader to clip.

Thanks a lot for your time Sardi, TNM and YYR123 :D

TNM 03-07-2018 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gus95 (Post 2478790)
Sardi, you were completely right. Right clicking the level meters on the master fader solved the issue of the third photo.

Also, I noticed the levels on my AI were too low, and in addition, the output levels of my VI's were too high, causing the master fader to clip.

Thanks a lot for your time Sardi, TNM and YYR123 :D

what i generally do is gain stage my VI's using the -18dbfs standard, by using the VI's output itself.. my mixer all at unity and everything hitting 0 using that measurement (an easy way to think about it is leaving 18db of headroom) and then i do my mix.
I use satson from sonimus.com to gain stage and often for my console emulation as well. Works a treat.
It's standard metering is -18.

Glad you got it fixed for now :)

gus95 03-07-2018 07:13 AM

Thank you TMN for the heads up! It's always good to learn new stuff (new to me at least:p).

Cheers!

Sardi 03-07-2018 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gus95 (Post 2478790)
Thanks a lot for your time Sardi

NP. :)