Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Mbox Pro output too high .... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=390186)

cjl 04-03-2017 12:36 PM

Mbox Pro output too high ....

Hi, I've tried to search for this but couldn't find anything ...

I'm trying to record a record through my stereo amp...

I come out of the Tape Output, into inputs 5 & 6 of my Mbox Pro (as advised in the manual) ..... however, on Pro Tools 12 the input level is very high and I can't see any way to adjust it .....

Is there really no output level control on the Mbox?

Thanks .....

Ben Jenssen 04-03-2017 02:43 PM

Re: Xbox Pro output too high ....

If the mbox doesn't have gain knobs on it, I bet the way to set input levels for those inputs is to use the software. Mbox control panel or whatever it's called.

cjl 04-04-2017 11:02 AM

Re: Xbox Pro output too high ....

Yes, you'd think that would be an obvious thing to have on there .... but I couldn't find anything on the control panel that would alter the input levels or the output levels to the PT input ..... or have I missed something?

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction....

Ben Jenssen 04-04-2017 03:31 PM

Re: Mbox Pro output too high ....

Maybe you have a user guide for this software that controls the mbox... what's it called?

cjl 04-04-2017 04:54 PM

Do you mean the manual? I've already mentioned it ....

I did look, but I couldn't find anything in there about changing the levels for inputs 5 & 6 ....

Ben Jenssen 04-04-2017 05:03 PM

Yes, I meant the manual.
What's the software called?

cjl 04-05-2017 02:28 AM

Not sure if it has a different name, it's just the Control Panel for Mbox Pro ... and the instructions don't tell you how to adjust the input levels, only if you're in 'Surround Monitor Configuration' ..... like I said, am I missing something here, or is something quite obvious, desirable and supposedly simple impossible to do with the Mbox Pro?

There are 'Hardware Input' faders on the CP but adjusting them doesn't make any difference to the levels on the PT channel .... I've tried 'Disable Host' and that doesn't do anything to it ..... it would appear that there's a lot of fancy knobs and faders on the Control Panel, but none of them can actually control the output level of the Mbox going into the PT.....

Anyone else had this problem with inputs 5 & 6? .... and found a way round it???? (... without resorting to using inputs 3 & 4, which you can adjust only with the +4/-10 switch ...)

albee1952 04-08-2017 04:22 PM

To get the best use from the RCA analog IO, Samson makes a level-matching box(around $50) that can convert 2 channels of +4 to -10 or the other way around. Its really down to using the correct tool for the job. Maybe the Mbox ix not the correct tool for your needs, or maybe the home-stereo hi-fi amp isn't the correct tool?:o Maybe if you describe the ultimate goal in more detail, someone can offer a better solution:rolleyes:

cjl 04-10-2017 02:28 PM

Thanks for the replies, looks like there's no internal way to adjust the output level .... I'll save myself some money and use inputs 3 & 4!