Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   VENUE Live Sound Systems (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Using plug-ins for live sound recording (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=133713)

Eric G 04-06-2005 11:44 AM

Using plug-ins for live sound recording

I've been using my 002 LE system for live seminar recording. I'm having trouble harnessing clips when the speaker shouts or claps (usually wearing a wireless). What are my options? How can I set up a limiter with my 002 system for recording? I've come to the conclusion that the limiter (plug-in) provided is only good for post. Thanks.

Sheldon Radford 04-06-2005 03:47 PM

Re: Using plug-ins for live sound recording

Hi Eric,

It sounds like the mic preamp (the first gain stage in the 002) might be clipping. If this is the case, the limiter plug-in can't prevent clipping, because the incoming signal is already clipped. Try backing the input gain down and leave about 12 to 20 dB of headroom to handle the loud sections (shoot for input signals around -12 to -20 dB). Then use the channel faders and master faders to bring the overall unclipped signal up to a suitable volume.

A good description of setting sound system level controls can be found here:
http://www.rane.com/note135.html

A wealth of general mixing info can be found here:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/studyhall/ab_index.php

Hope this helps!

Sheldon

cmaynes 04-07-2005 09:19 AM

I think it is probably the wireless transmitter that is distorting- you might try convincing the producers to rent a high end wireless for the talent when they want to record- Otherwise, see if you can go with a wired lav.

It will be very difficult to remove the ditortion you had mentioned.

charles maynes

bryanbassett 04-07-2005 10:19 AM

What I have been doing for tracking vocals is
Create a MONO AUX track and a MONO AUDIO TRACK
Put a compressor on the AUX TRACK say the Focurite D3 (in my case)
Make the INPUT to the AUX TRACK your microphone (say A1)
Make the OUTPUT of the AUX TRACK any availble BUS (say Bus 10)

Now make the input to the AUDIO TRACK the BUS you selected for the OUTPUT of the AUX channel.
Make the OUTPUT of the AUDIO TRACK your usual default output .
Put the AUDIO TRACK in RECORD
You should now be able to use the compressor to control your vocal spikes....as the mic goes through the Compressor before it hits the record channel.

Here's the flow
MIC - AUX CH. - COMPRESSOR- BUS OUT - AUDIO CHANNEL - MASTER OUT

Hope this helps, it works great for me on a MAC TDM setup with no noticeable latency that I can hear or that was mentioned by my talent.

Bryan

Eric G 04-07-2005 12:28 PM

Thanks Bryan...I'll give that a try. E

Drew Mazurek 04-10-2005 06:00 AM

Quote:

What I have been doing for tracking vocals is
Create a MONO AUX track and a MONO AUDIO TRACK
Put a compressor on the AUX TRACK say the Focurite D3 (in my case)
Make the INPUT to the AUX TRACK your microphone (say A1)
Make the OUTPUT of the AUX TRACK any availble BUS (say Bus 10)

Now make the input to the AUDIO TRACK the BUS you selected for the OUTPUT of the AUX channel.
Make the OUTPUT of the AUDIO TRACK your usual default output .
Put the AUDIO TRACK in RECORD
You should now be able to use the compressor to control your vocal spikes....as the mic goes through the Compressor before it hits the record channel.

Here's the flow
MIC - AUX CH. - COMPRESSOR- BUS OUT - AUDIO CHANNEL - MASTER OUT

Hope this helps, it works great for me on a MAC TDM setup with no noticeable latency that I can hear or that was mentioned by my talent.

Bryan

this is kind of risky and not very smart IMO. it defeats the purpose of low latency TDM plugs. it also doesn't take into account the clipping that may be occurring at the pre.

all you'd have to do is monitor your recording with the plug, making adjustments till it's dialed in just as you like it, and then at the end audiosuite the track with the plug you've been monitoring with and now you've got both, processed and unprocessed. your way leaves you with only a processed track and one that might be recorded with all your little adjustments throughout the performance.

bryanbassett 04-11-2005 10:01 AM

mic pre clipping aside ..which is a different problem and needs to attended to before you hit protools your suggestion about the audiosuite after the fact does nothing to help with digital overs while recording. If a non effected track is also desired just setup an extra audio channel without the bus feed and mult the input to there as well you will then have both an uneffected track and one protected from digital overs by the bus compression.
bb

bryanbassett 04-11-2005 11:27 AM

as an addition..the only way to avoid the clipping at the mic pre is to insert an external comppressor/limiter into the mic path either on the 002 or through an ext. console if used. Of course you can continually monitor the input..risky at best or record at a lower than desired record level affecting the overall quality of the recording. In the absence of external compression the only way to do it in the box is as I have mentioned above as inserting on the audio channel is post recording.
bb