Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   LETS SETTLE THIS??????? DIGI 001 VS ROLAND VS2480 VS YAMAHA AW4416 VS _____________ (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=3141)

PSI 07-16-2001 07:42 PM

LETS SETTLE THIS??????? DIGI 001 VS ROLAND VS2480 VS YAMAHA AW4416 VS _____________

LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE......?
You can think of it as a daw vs stand alone recorder shootout. I really want to know what the masses think about the current crop of stand alone recorders when placed up against the vulnerable digi 001. True the digi has the software that gets you in the league with the pros but it starting to show its age in the value department. The Roland VS 2480 looks like a winner and the Yamaha has a following but what really wins is the ..........sound. So lets hear it from all 19000 of the registered users ....

toecat 07-16-2001 08:08 PM

Re: LETS SETTLE THIS??????? DIGI 001 VS ROLAND VS2480 VS YAMAHA AW4416 VS _____________

Do you really think anyone who listens to music cares what it was recorded on. I don't thinks so, I have not met anyone listening to a tune whom can call out which system recorded it. Bottom line, if you find something that works for you use it. If you want proof you bought the best toy for you money, get a life.
Sorry but I don't think anyone wants to play. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Digital Sound Lab 07-16-2001 08:24 PM

Re: LETS SETTLE THIS??????? DIGI 001 VS ROLAND VS2480 VS YAMAHA AW4416 VS _____________

Toecat you beat me

I useually do not like to reply to this wrestling match type post but I feel I need to say a few things before this "post" ends up like all the other posts, done. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
The only reson that the 001 is vulnerable is because "beginner" engineers and "musicians" that want to know what they are doing really don't. They buy this thing that has the world renound "Pro Tools" name and expect their "music" to sound magically wonderful.
You can take a seasoned engineer and he or she can make a 16 bit blackface ADAT sing with all the glory if they know what their doing.
It's kinda like buying all the nice tools to build your castle with, having minimal terible material, can't read the tape measurer properly, and almost cutting off your finger when you try to do something. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Now that that was said, I suggest that you find your needs as an individual and as what your clients or your band needs and decide for youself.

learn, read

one shoe does not fit all

some needs very.

I love my Pro Tools

Digital Sound Lab [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I guess I'm having one of those days, Sorry if I've affended anybody.

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: Digital Sound Lab ]

PSI 07-16-2001 09:11 PM

Sorry DSL and Toecat (slow down and check your grammar) but I was refering to the many other people that read and LEARN from the postings on this site. There is serious competition ot there for Digi and it only spells better value for ALL of us. Reguardless of what do it all record a bit of music (pun intended) box appears at AES this or next year we will all be looking for the best recording TOOLS if Pro Tools remain at the forefront so be it but I refuse to let Digi rest on there past accomplishments.

P.S.

I have 2 16 bit Adats xt a
Quadra 650 w/AM2 card w/ sound designer and session w/auth. disk original owner make offer dsl so you can see how long Ive been with digi..

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: PSI ]

Kev 07-17-2001 12:43 AM

Like "Digital Sound Lab" I don't like to get into these disscussions but I hope this one doesn't get long and attract the usual suspects. Just like "DSL" I also love my Pro Tools and have three systems TDM,PTLE and PTfree. the later two I loan to musicians to get their projects started and they come to me for better recording technique and then off to a mega studio for the name mixer/producer bits. They can do this because Pro Tools is out there. I also have ADATs .... why because at the time they were out there and most popular.

I agree with "toecat",
"if you find something that works for you use it. "

it is that simple!

One last point. As much as I love ProTools it is not the only one and many of my work mate don't think it is anywhere near the top. The Broadcast and some movie boys still love their Fairlights. The New Prodigy is a 40 bit mix engine I believe. And a product not mentioned here often is the AMS Neve Logic with it's various options. These , believe me, are very expensive.

Pro Tools is a bargain ! from LE through to TDM and ProControl.

Just enjoy it.

billrog 07-17-2001 04:14 AM

There is ideed no right answer to this. But as I own both Digi 001 and Yamaha Aw4416 I will give my impressions.

Pro-tools is best for editing, there's no contest there. And if you want basic Midi, Pro tools has it. But I prefer the Yam for recording music, a pleasure to use with good sound quality and little latency. As I do quite a lot of live recording the Yam is ideal. I am about to upgrade it's A/D coverters and clock to Apogee with a plug in card, probably the cheapest way to get 8 channels of Apogee quality. I'm also getting the Waves board to get Waves F/X for mixdown.
The only problem is you can't have both cards installed at the same time, so I'll record with the Apogee card and mix with the Waves.

As usual, it's horses for courses. Both machines sound good IMHO, but which to buy depends on your style of recording.

Hope this helps.

Bill.

PSI 07-17-2001 04:26 AM

thank you billrog for your informative answer [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

ccstudios 07-17-2001 06:20 AM

I was wondering why my motu 2408 or 828 vs Digi001 thread didnt have a single reply.

toecat 07-17-2001 03:01 PM

PSI, if you find value in something else buy it. Digi may not be the bottom line, but you and other people out there are buying it. If it is not what you what then don't. It works for me. You maybe right Roland and Yamaha maybe better. I don't care. My money is spent and the 001 does fine for me. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BradLyons 07-17-2001 08:53 PM

All of these products are incredible products to say the least, but what makes one product better for the next person depends on their needs. I can't tell you how many turn-key Digi001 systems I do in a month's time, but at the same time I do an equal amount of Motu systems and quite a few VS2480's as well as AW4416's. The point is is that each person's needs are different. There really is no such thing as a crappy sound anymore like "cassette", but it's all about the front-end.

For example, I have a customer that does MAJOR national work for voiceover and radio broadcast. The sound he produces is amazing. He's using a Digi001 bundle in one room with an Apogee Rosetta, Neumann M149, and a Manley Vox Box for some additional definition. Now if he were to plug this right into the pre on the Digi001, you wouldn't be nearly as impressed. Take that same analogy with ADATs. Personally (I owned 5 at one point), I could never stand their converters...but put my console in front of it or what many pro studios do by putting thousands of dollars of high-end outboard gear in front and you can get a GREAT sound.

So saying one is definitely better than another is only precise when talking about your own needs... wouldn't it be boring if we all used the exact same product??