Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HEAT question--is it pre or post on each track? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=292589)

bashville 01-20-2011 12:02 AM

HEAT question--is it pre or post on each track?

Hope it's OK to post here. I didn't want the question to get lost in the giant HEAT thread at the top of this forum.

I saw Kenny Gioia raise this issue in the above thread, and didn't see it answered.

Since the HEAT effect is dependent on the amount of level hitting it, it seems like if it were a normal plug you'd spend some time bringing up the level coming into it so you'd be getting the effect you wanted. So is the HEAT processing taking place before or after other plugs you might have on each individual track?

And if a track is recorded softly, does that automatically mean it won't be affected as strongly as tracks with hotter levels? I suppose I'm guessing that it's pre- the other plugs, and I could always process a track with more gain in AudioSuite.

I get that it's a different processing philosophy going on here, that it's the cumulative effect that's important. But it would be nice to know. I didn't see any mention in the User Guide.

thanks

Stig Eliassen 01-20-2011 12:07 AM

Re: HEAT question--is it pre or post on each track?

Wouldn't it be possible to figure it out with a spectrum analyzer and/or accurate metering in the first insert slot? Just a suggestion...

crizdee 01-20-2011 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bashville (Post 1739314)
Hope it's OK to post here. I didn't want the question to get lost in the giant HEAT thread at the top of this forum.

I saw Kenny Gioia raise this issue in the above thread, and didn't see it answered.

Since the HEAT effect is dependent on the amount of level hitting it, it seems like if it were a normal plug you'd spend some time bringing up the level coming into it so you'd be getting the effect you wanted. So is the HEAT processing taking place before or after other plugs you might have on each individual track?

And if a track is recorded softly, does that automatically mean it won't be affected as strongly as tracks with hotter levels? I suppose I'm guessing that it's pre- the other plugs, and I could always process a track with more gain in AudioSuite.

I get that it's a different processing philosophy going on here, that it's the cumulative effect that's important. But it would be nice to know. I didn't see any mention in the User Guide.

thanks

Hi,

Its post unless you select the pre button!

The only way to control the level into it is to leave it as post and use previous plugs to adjust signal level. in conjunction with the master control.

Chris

bashville 01-20-2011 07:53 AM

Aha! Thank you Chris. I guess that was a newbie RTFM question...! :-)

I have another question now, but I'll make a different thread....