Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Dante issues with PT's (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405753)

freakhouse 07-26-2019 09:39 AM

Dante issues with PT's

I've got a HDX rig that I use for mixing. To track drums I switch playback engines and use a Dante equipped Presonus RLM 16. I've learned that this always goes smoother if I reboot the Mac and shut down my HD I/O completely and turn off Wi-Fi. Then I switch the playback engine over to the Dante, restart PT's and am able to track drums as expected. When I'm done I do the same procedure in reverse, rebooting to switch back, turning back on Wi-Fi.

So here are the issues:

1. When I quit PT's using the Preonus/Dante it crashes every time. Never happens when using HDX by the way.

2. I use a Raven monitor. When I go back to HDX probably half of the time the HUI settings in Peripheral Settings will get lost and I have to reset them manually.

I've trashed prefs and this didn't help. Happens across multiple sessions. I'm using the same plugins I use daily with no issue on HDX.

albee1952 07-26-2019 03:32 PM

Re: Dante issues with PT's

In your case, I would dump the Presonus and put 16 mic pre's on your HD IO. Is there a reason to NOT do that?

freakhouse 07-26-2019 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2533917)
In your case, I would dump the Presonus and put 16 mic pre's on your HD IO. Is there a reason to NOT do that?

That’s money I don’t want to spend and frankly shouldn’t have to spend in order to simply switch the playback engines without a crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DetroitT 07-29-2019 03:40 PM

Right.
It's about the mixer and convenience.
Try the app Cocktail for simple and effective Memory-Purge of inactive...
To me. it soothes it all down to solid.
However. It's his case and dumping is not a resolve when seeking it all to work.

It's youth and engineering it all.

kelsey 07-30-2019 10:03 AM

Are you using Dante Virtual Soundcard as your interface for the Presonus?
I can switch back and forth between HD Native and DVS without crashing or restarting.
Since you mention having to turn off wifi, try changing the service order of your network interfaces to put the Dante ethernet at the top.
What version of DVS are you on? What version of PT? What OS?

freakhouse 07-30-2019 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsey (Post 2534125)
Are you using Dante Virtual Soundcard as your interface for the Presonus?
I can switch back and forth between HD Native and DVS without crashing or restarting.
Since you mention having to turn off wifi, try changing the service order of your network interfaces to put the Dante ethernet at the top.
What version of DVS are you on? What version of PT? What OS?

Good to hear someone is able to do that switch successfully. thanks

I'm using Dante Via version 1.2.0 - latest version. PT Ultimate 2019.6, High Sierra - I will give the service order a shot so I don't have to turn off wifi although in the past I've tried that and it seems like it "confused" the Dante interface and there were issues. So you use the WIFI on while the Dante is using the hard-wired Ethernet connection? I'm actually remembering now that in the Dante manual it tells you to turn off wi-fi. 99.9% sure I'm remembering that correctly.

I'm opening a ticket with Avid and I will report back what becomes of that.

kelsey 07-30-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakhouse (Post 2534135)
Good to hear someone is able to do that switch successfully. thanks

I'm using Dante Via version 1.2.0 - latest version. PT Ultimate 2019.6, High Sierra - I will give the service order a shot so I don't have to turn off wifi although in the past I've tried that and it seems like it "confused" the Dante interface and there were issues. So you use the WIFI on while the Dante is using the hard-wired Ethernet connection? I'm actually remembering now that in the Dante manual it tells you to turn off wi-fi. 99.9% sure I'm remembering that correctly.

I'm opening a ticket with Avid and I will report back what becomes of that.

On my mobile live rig I use DVS with WiFi on all the time and have never had an issue. I set the wifi to the first item on the service order so internet defaults to that and doesn't attempt to connect on the hardwired Dante network. In my studio the rig is only hardwired so I don't use wifi there.

To troubleshoot, maybe try Dante Virtual Soundcard instead of Dante Via? There is a lot more going on in Via.

https://wanderingear.net