Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Power supply failure on PCI Chassis.. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=276531)

ckerian 06-21-2010 01:20 PM

Power supply failure on PCI Chassis..

So I did my once in 10 years move all gear, clean up, and rewire and.... I hooked up my chassis to my G4, fired it all up.. lights on for all cards, f16 jet engine fan on... fire up pro tools and I got a dae error. i shut everything down. reseated the ribbon cable and interface cables. restarted, walked away. tried pro tools.. then dae deck error. I look down at the chassis and the lights on the pro tools cards were not lit and it was oddly quiet. It seems my chassis took a dump on me. The light on the front of the chassis is on but thats it. just a light. the fan on the power supply certainly isnt on neither are the vortex leaf blowers on the front of the chassis.

Shoudl i start with the power supply and where can i find out where to get one and what the right type exactly is. Anything else I can check here?

SBS 8 slot
Rev B
MFG date: Dec 1999
Part number (model?) B5227111
sn: 217005

guitar012001 06-22-2010 06:43 AM

Re: Power supply failure on PCI Chassis..

Hey,
I had a similar problem with my Magma 32bit 33Hz 7 Slot chassis about 6 months ago. I kept getting DAE Errors but I can't remember the codes right now. However, I called Magma and a gentleman told me it sounded like the Power Supply was bad. I was going to get one of theirs but it was very expensive. So, I tried a 500 watt power supply from Best Buy and I haven't had anymore issues. About a $50 repair for me. I'm sure there are much better power supplies but mine is working just fine.

ckerian 06-22-2010 06:57 AM

I hope it is that easy. I was reading in a GS thread that I might need an old ATX 1.x style power supply. It was noted they require a 5 volt rail that i guess was used for the ISA bus on old PC's.

I appreciate your input. It would be nice if i could use an off the shelf power supply.

guitar012001 06-22-2010 07:08 AM

Hey,
I would pull the Magma's and take it in to Best Buy and compare. That's what I did. Worst thing is that you'll have to return it if it doesn't work. I'll check and see if I have the box right quick and I'll post back with the one I purchased.

ckerian 06-22-2010 07:11 AM

The problem is mine is not a magma but rather an SBS but yeah same point right? Pull it, bring it in, and see whats available for a replacement. Good idea. Maybe an old corner computer store might have one too.

guitar012001 06-22-2010 07:19 AM

Sorry,
Couldn't find the box. So I would try the removal and replace. I hope you can get it going!

studiojimi 06-22-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckerian (Post 1626869)
It seems my chassis took a dump on me.

It's a conspiracy!

Hey Chris...nice to see you in here man.

Hope you resolve this.

ckerian 06-22-2010 11:21 AM

Back at cha Jimbo! You know how i feel about my trusty ole pro tools rig. the only good thing is I am not in the middle of any projects.