Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Playback engine problems (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=138017)

Playhouse Digital 05-28-2005 11:53 PM

Playback engine problems

G5 (Dual 2gHz, 2GB sdram) on 6.9.

Recently (within the past couple of weeks) playback on my protools system has been reduced to a few seconds of audio then it will start breaking up freeze and give me the "operating system held of interuppts for too long" error message. This is the most pervasive prolem but pro tools has crashed three times within the past couple of weeks whereas I've never had a crash before then. I have 99% processor power dedicated to protools and the problems occur with very undemanding sessions with minimal rtas plug-ins, and on very complex sessions that, in the past, have run flawlessly.

I've tried everything that I can think of short of reinstalling pro-tools. I'm sorry if this explanation vauge but I just don't know what the problem is.

Any help would but appreciated enormously. Thanks.

Playhouse Digital 05-29-2005 01:01 AM

Re: Playback engine problems

Also i'm getting a lot of fuzz/cracklespops constantly on audio playback and my firewire connection will disable itself.

I'm want to try to reinstall proools but I was wondering if i will lose my plug-ins because i don't have the authorization codes for a lot of them any more

crizdee 05-29-2005 08:10 AM

Hello,

If you re-install and select the safe install! then you won't have to re authorise anything, you'll just simply install PT and the digi rack plugs again. You'll probably have to go back to 6.4 as your base installation and then install 6.9 (don't think you can install from 6.7 or 6.9 alone!!! use your 6.4 CD to un-install!!

Also check any HTDM plugs you may be using! as these often cause crackles and pops etc as they don't show on the CPU usage like RTAS so there's no way of knowing when you are nearing the max of your CPU and this is what causes a lot of popping and distortion type sound.

Are you running your sessions from the firewire drives? if yes, then this could be the problem!? try running from an internal drive!? save session copy as etc and run without the firewire drive connected.

Have you tried different DAE buffer settings!

Regards

Chris

crizdee 05-29-2005 08:10 AM

Hello,

If you re-install and select the safe install! then you won't have to re authorise anything, you'll just simply install PT and the digi rack plugs again. You'll probably have to go back to 6.4 as your base installation and then install 6.9 (don't think you can install from 6.7 or 6.9 alone!!! use your 6.4 CD to un-install!!

Also check any HTDM plugs you may be using! as these often cause crackles and pops etc as they don't show on the CPU usage like RTAS so there's no way of knowing when you are nearing the max of your CPU and this is what causes a lot of popping and distortion type sound.

Are you running your sessions from the firewire drives? if yes, then this could be the problem!? try running from an internal drive!? save session copy as etc and run without the firewire drive connected.

Have you tried different DAE buffer settings!

Regards

Chris