Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   HD Native cant Update Firmware after installing PT9.0.5 Update (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=306473)

mrpollack 02-02-2012 04:37 AM

Re: HD Native cant Update Firmware after installing PT9.0.5 Update

Quote:

Originally Posted by tgunn (Post 1837822)
Success! After tons of trial and error and even going as far as switching out the motherboard for more PCIe slots, I managed to fix my installation and upgrade to 9.05 on Windows 7 x64.

* I removed all but one of my four memory sticks (from 16GB to 4GB).
* I "underclocked" my machine to 2.8GHz!

I've got an intel i7 2600K @3.4GHz. When I slowed it down to 2.8GHz and re-ran the update I noticed that the progress bar made it slightly longer than usual. So I ran it a few more times and... success!

Hope this helps someone out there.

I have now this problem with upgrading from PT10 to 10.01..First flashing goes slow ..around 1 hour,and second one,when launching pro tools takes also one hour and at the and of process (the bar is less than in the middle of the road) it gives me Error# 1167..I tried everything you did with no luck.. Maybe the problem was,when first time i tried to flash a card I saw it staying at one point for few minutes with no sign of life,so I closed the window,thinking that it's frozen..Next time I realized that after one minute it showed 6% after next 20 seconds 12% etc.. Is it possible that closing first window with flashing, destroyed something in the card ? How to fix it ???
Thanks,
jacek

filosofem 02-02-2012 06:47 PM

mrpollack, your question has been answered in another thread you posted the same question.

mrpollack 02-03-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mascola24 (Post 1837013)
except support was completely useless on this issue. between being on hold for god knows and being bounced around between 'departments', finally someone told me to just keep trying the update over and over like the kbase said. Despite the inherrent illogical nature of this fix, i did... and i kept count: 50 times. no success (if not a tribute to my stubbornness)

I am a little pissed off that Avid expects this to be an official qualified fix. I ended up fixing it by installing it to a friends mac pro (not macbook pro, which is the laptop, tgunn), and it accepted the update after the 3rd attempt. His mac pro was running snow leopard (10.6.2). Once the firmware updated successfully, I was able to open Pro Tools on my windows machine.

This was probably the most daunting problem I've ever had to overcome as a Pro Tools user in the last 6 years... Avid, PLEASE work on this problem in the next version of pro tools.

I'm struggling with this issue with PT10.01..Inasane!!! Tried 50 times update my native card..swapping slots..reinstaling PT even to PT9..no luck...constand 1167 error...today is third day of buttle and waisting time and money..It's ridiculous..I'm studio owner over for over 20 years and never seen anything like this in my life..

Aditu 02-04-2012 11:48 AM

Hi MrPollack,

Although we never got an official confirmation from Avid other than the official document that certain version of Mac OS X and above would screw up the update, my guess after seeing this case repeat itself in windows machines is that it is a problem of the Windows OS where the OS simply wont play ball with the HD Native Card.

I had to fix 2 HD Native systems this way, so my best advice would be to stop every futile attempt to fix this on a Windows Machine, go ask your closest acquaintance who owns a Mac Pro and run the Update.

I Havent had any problems and both HD Native stations are working smoothly after the upgrade.

Hope it helps.

Greg M 02-04-2012 03:18 PM

FWIW, I've updated the firmware twice on my HD|Native card (currently at 1.03?) without any issues. I have a Windows machine. No doubt there is something screwy going on here. The Mac guys seem to have a real mess with this. Would be nice if Avid would zero in on the problem and fix it.

Greg

filosofem 02-04-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg M (Post 1898001)
FWIW, I've updated the firmware twice on my HD|Native card (currently at 1.03?) without any issues. I have a Windows machine. No doubt there is something screwy going on here. The Mac guys seem to have a real mess with this. Would be nice if Avid would zero in on the problem and fix it.

To be fair, when 9.0.4/.9.0.5 was released, OS X Lion was also released which created a lot of problems. Part of that solution was the introduction of the NativeCardFlasher.

Greg M 02-05-2012 03:43 AM

Aaron,

I'm not trying to be unfair with Avid on this issue. Their response to the Lion/flashing issue was pretty good. However, I just have to believe that Avid knew about this problem before Lion was released and probably should have either not sold customers with Lion a Native card or should have found a way to update the firmware for them before the Native card was sold/shipped to them. To me, it is not heroic to create a problem and then expect to look good later when you fix it. The best policy is to not let the problem out of the door to begin with.

I've had my Native card over a year now and have had zero problems and great performance with it. Maybe I have the more typical customer experience with HD|Native- I don't know.

To me, it looks like Avid is under a lot of pressure to get hardware "out the door". For instance, release of the HDX cards to the general public is way premature. I know there is a "buyer beware" element with HDX, but on the other hand Avid knew 3rd party HDX DSP based plug-ins weren't ready and that a large, non-post user base is dependent on 3rd party plugs. I guess the up side of this for HDX users is that they are finding out that they are essentially running HD|Native and it is actually pretty powerful with a good computer.

Back on topic. If I had a Native card firmware update issue I would ship it back to Avid, or their regional repair shop, for updating. Avid should pay for the whole thing including expedited shipping.

Thanks,
Greg

TCM 02-05-2012 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg M (Post 1898139)

Back on topic. If I had a Native card firmware update issue I would ship it back to Avid, or their regional repair shop, for updating. Avid should pay for the whole thing including expedited shipping.

That would be great customer service.

filosofem 02-05-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg M (Post 1898139)
I just have to believe that Avid knew about this problem before Lion was released and probably should have either not sold customers with Lion a Native card or should have found a way to update the firmware for them before the Native card was sold/shipped to them.

Sounds like you are leading up the garden path. Greg.

Greg M 02-05-2012 07:11 AM

There is a really good article in Forbes magazine (November?) that discussed how "taking care of the shareholders" is misguided and old thinking. The newer, more forward thinking companies realize that taking care of the customer and growing your customer base is much more important (and will inherently take care of the shareholders). There is actually a link somewhere here on the DUC to the article. It is an interesting read:-).

Greg