Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Forcing the cursor to start at the beginning of the song during playback (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=411385)

EVaschon 08-03-2020 04:29 PM

Forcing the cursor to start at the beginning of the song during playback

I am looking all over the place and I can't seem to find a simple, straight answer to this simple question:

"Is there a way to force the cursor to jump back to the very beginning of the song during playback?"

Please don't give me a complicated lecture about cursor placement and all that stuff. I'm new at this and each time I attempt to manually place the cursor at the beginning of the song, it's not really the ("beginning") of the song - it's a few notes in. Apparently, to get the beginning of the song, I have to zoom in several times to truly place the cursor at the very beginning of the song. (which is a pain in the butt). Surely there is a simple ways to make the stupid thing start at the very beginning of the song?

jeffro 08-03-2020 04:35 PM

Re: Forcing the cursor to start at the beginning of the song during playback

1 Attachment(s)
Unless your song starts somewhere after the session's start time... Return To Zero button -or- press [Return] on Mac or [Enter] on Windows.

albee1952 08-03-2020 05:38 PM

Drop markers and learn about the quick locate function. For me, I drop markers at the following locations for 99% of music recordings:
1-count-in
2-Song start
3-V1(verse 1)
4-Pre1(pre-chorus)
5-C1(first chorus
6-TA(turn around or tag)
etc, etc. If you're not using markers....:eek::D
Then there's "Insertion follows Playback"(with keyboard focus enabled), the N key toggles this function. 1 way, playback starts from where you last stopped. The other way, playback starts from the previous start time. So, if you started at the song start, as long as you don't click in the timeline, which moves the cursor, playback will keep starting at the song start.

EVaschon 08-04-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro (Post 2574261)
Unless your song starts somewhere after the session's start time... Return To Zero button -or- press [Return] on Mac or [Enter] on Windows.

Hey Jeffro,

I just want you to know that I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'll definitely give it a go. As I'm figuring things out, I'm writing little inserting little clips and writing little MIDI parts in the first few bars, then dragging and copying them over to other bars down the time-line. This means I'm having to get the song to start from the very beginning over and over and its frustrating to have to zoom in every darn time to make certain it starts at the very beginning.

EVaschon 08-04-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2574269)
Drop markers and learn about the quick locate function. For me, I drop markers at the following locations for 99% of music recordings:
1-count-in
2-Song start
3-V1(verse 1)
4-Pre1(pre-chorus)
5-C1(first chorus
6-TA(turn around or tag)
etc, etc. If you're not using markers....:eek::D
Then there's "Insertion follows Playback"(with keyboard focus enabled), the N key toggles this function. 1 way, playback starts from where you last stopped. The other way, playback starts from the previous start time. So, if you started at the song start, as long as you don't click in the timeline, which moves the cursor, playback will keep starting at the song start.

Thanks for your response. This sounds like another thing I'd have to watch a video on and. take notes and try to memorize the multiple steps. (Which seems like what the vast majority of what working with this program is about.) It's great advice, but I was hoping that was at least his one, simple thing that was quick and simple without a long list of steps to follow. Nevertheless, I do appreciate your response and will consider all this for the future as I get better at this.

_Eden

albee1952 08-05-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVaschon (Post 2574327)
Thanks for your response. This sounds like another thing I'd have to watch a video on and. take notes and try to memorize the multiple steps. (Which seems like what the vast majority of what working with this program is about.) It's great advice, but I was hoping that was at least his one, simple thing that was quick and simple without a long list of steps to follow. Nevertheless, I do appreciate your response and will consider all this for the future as I get better at this.

_Eden

Once you learn this, it will be incredibly simple and second nature. Its the learning process that can be frustrating.:D

NateAlexander 08-08-2020 03:13 PM

I can't believe no one has mentioned this but:

pressing WIN+Enter (or CMD+ENTER) will return you to the song start marker (red diamond)

unfortunately you can't program macros using the WIN or ALT key on Windows so hopefully you're on macOS... alternatively you can program a hotkey that uses the go to bar shortcut and takes you to bar 0 (NUMPAD * -> [Bar number] -> Enter/Return)

Pete Levin 09-28-2020 11:31 AM

The commands for return to session beginning have been mentioned, and that its not necessarily the start of the song. A suggestion. Drop a marker at the song start. Note it's number. (If its the first marker you dropped, it'll be #1) At any time, whether playback is running or not, you can have playback return to the start. Keystrokes on Mac or PC are period-[marker#]-period