Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Avid Link app (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=413762)

EdgarRothermich 01-22-2021 02:28 PM

Avid Link app

What's the general take on the Avid Link application?
It seems to have improved from the previous incarnation "Application Manager", but it still feels like an excuse to shove a storefront in our face to buy more stuff than it is actually useful.

The main concern I have is the CPU usage. Too many times when I check Menu Meter, I see that it is using 10% of my CPU. And with a 4.2 GHz quad-core i7 that 10% seems a little excessive for that little thing, let alone that calling-home activity in the background.

JFreak 01-22-2021 02:33 PM

Re: Avid Link app

Most people I know are just uninstalling that thing after every PT update

originalscottyg 01-22-2021 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2591089)
Most people I know are just uninstalling that thing after every PT update

Yup. Avid Link and Cloud Client Services get uninstalled immediately after every update.

The Weed 01-22-2021 03:49 PM

On Windows I use CCleaner to disable Avid Link at startup and, when I want to use it, start it manually.

And yes, Cloud Collaboration is uninstalled after any PT update.

_JJ_ 01-22-2021 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalscottyg (Post 2591092)
Yup. Avid Link and Cloud Client Services get uninstalled immediately after every update.

Same here, each upgrade is immediately followed by running the (kindly supplied) uninstallers for cloud and link. I even try to do it before the restart. :-)

unkJE 01-22-2021 04:33 PM

Before uninstalling Avid Link, I just run it once to check for updates

taylor4814 01-23-2021 05:32 AM

I start it manually (disabled launch at startup)... I usually launch it once a day, check for updates, sync account, check messages, notifications, then quit the app from the taskbar (in Windows).

I think it's in the right direction... works well for installs...
As a standalone hub for user group/community/messaging, I think it's not quite ready for prime time... better design for full-screen GUI I think would help.

Rich Breen 01-23-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich (Post 2591088)
What's the general take on the Avid Link application?...

The worst. CPU hog, requires constant sign-in, no management of start-up behavior, etc ad infinitum.

Southsidemusic 01-23-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Breen (Post 2591167)
The worst. CPU hog, requires constant sign-in, no management of start-up behavior, etc ad infinitum.

Agree and we just uninstall straight after updating as it takes over the fiber here and all ipads and LAN systems dies. Uninstallation works but I would prefer the App to stay installed and WORKING like any other small software but it is insane how much traffic it does in a few minutes.

justinhill 01-24-2021 07:27 AM

I upgraded to 2020.12.0 (Ultimate) the other day. Until now, Avid Link was something harmless I ignored unless I wanted to check for updates. Now, I find it 'steals' focus from any application - including Pro Tools - every few minutes.

So, I might be in record and when I press the spacebar to stop, nothing happens... because Avid Link has stolen the focus. It also does it when Pro Tools isn't running - like when I'm trying to edit a script in Word, when I'm trying to select some files for wetransfer in Safari, when I'm renaming a folder in Finder, or...

It was driving me mad until I found a Python script on the internet that I could run in Terminal that would keep reporting the app with focus and sure enough and after few moments any app will change to Avid Link.

What a load of nonsense. it's gone from being merely lousy to be being actively harmful.