Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S4/S6 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Assign Module Hardware not working (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=384438)

ampnerd 09-24-2016 12:29 AM

Assign Module Hardware not working

I'm setting up my S6 for the first time (M40 32 channel) Everything is wired correctly as far as I can tell. The lights on the ethernet switch are all lighting up and blinking as they should.

At the Assign Module Hardware page I have dragged the correct module configurations into the frame and then I hit next and it asks me to identify the first fader bank etc. but none of the modules are lit up. According to the Getting Started Fast instruction video I just watched it's at that point (hitting next) that the modules are supposed to light up so you can select them?

There is power to all of the modules as when I move a fader and let go it bounces back. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Sean

amolin 09-24-2016 04:18 AM

Re: Assign Module Hardware not working

I had the same problem when setting up mine, I'm pretty sure it was because the network was not assembled correctly...

ampnerd 09-24-2016 04:42 AM

Thanks for the reply Amolin. Do you recall what you had to do differently with the network to remedy the problem?

I can't figure out what I could be doing wrong with the ethernet wiring. All the modules are going into the switch and then the ethernet 2 jack on the back of the master module is going into my Mac and ethernet 1 is unconnected.

Postman 09-24-2016 06:26 AM

Everything goes to the S6 switch, including port 2 from the MTM and your Mac. The MasTerModule's port 1 can be unconnected or can be used for a direct internet access to the internet. Mine is unconnected.

edit: Oh, and, in the above configuration, make certain your Mac's port to S6 is set up to use DHCP and is not a DHCP server. There can be only one DHCP server, which the MTM's port 2 does by default.

amolin 09-24-2016 07:15 AM

I did the same as you, but the main module and your computer also needs to be connected to the switch.

ampnerd 09-24-2016 01:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Anders and Postman, thank you both for your great input. It was indeed that I didn't have port 2 of the Master Module connected to the switch. But...I'm still not up and working! I'm sorry to keep hassling you but could I ask for more help?

Here's what's going on...

Now when I configure my modules in the configurator and hit next to identify each module the "DO" all light up but when I touch a fader on bank 1 to identify it it does nothing.

So here are a few questions for you.

At this point I am supposed to have my DAW computer hooked up (also to the switch) right? I do and I have the S6 WSControl software installed and also version 3.3.2 of Eucon Control.

The problem is when I click on the S6 WSControl icon in my Mac menu bar it says "Not Connected". If I click the Network Setup option it brings up the Network Setup page and has the correct Desk ID (I have it set to 2) and shows the correct ethernet port it is using to connect but when I launch Eucon Control the S6 does not show up in the list. In Workstations I do see my computer. I've included a few screenshots if that helps shed some light on what I'm doing wrong.

Oh, and is Eucon Control 3.3.2 the correct version? A few times when I've opened it it comes up with a dialog asking me to make sure my"S3" firmware is up to date. Why S3?

Many thanks for your time on this.

amolin 09-24-2016 01:22 PM

Try to turn off your wifi, mine made all sorts of strange errors when I had wifi on...

amolin 09-24-2016 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampnerd (Post 2383361)
I do and I have the S6 WSControl software installed and also version 3.3.2 of Eucon Control.

I dont think those two are compatible, only WSControl or Eucon Control can run, not both at the same time. Try to close Eucon Control and se if it helps.

ampnerd 09-24-2016 01:34 PM

Thanks Anders. I just tried both. Still can't get the configurator to recognize any of the modules tho.

Hey, another quick question. I'm surprised that the system hasn't asked me to do any firmware updates to the modules. This board is over a year old and is being set up for the first time now. The manual implies that you will be prompted to do updates but that has not appeared for me and I'm pretty sure they would need updating. Did you have to on your system?

Thanks!

Postman 09-24-2016 02:38 PM

You should be able to configure the surface without your Mac connected at all. Try that after a power cycle.

When you first enter the S6 settings page, what is displayed in the diagnostics info? So you see the software version of your master module? When the modules all light up but you are unable to get the first bank fader module to be identified, try touching one of the other banks. Does ANY fader module identify? Maybe the first module isn't connecting to the S6 network?

Amolin is correct, Un-install EuControl. You only want S6Control, the same version as the Master Module software (v2.2, for instance). But, you should still be able to identify the modules.

Postman 09-24-2016 02:40 PM

BTW, the system is unable to update modules until it can identify them. First things first!

ampnerd 09-24-2016 02:46 PM

Hi Postman,

Thanks for your time. I have uninstalled Eucon completely, then uninstalled S6WSControl, rebooted and then re-installed S6WSControl again.

To answer your question, when I boot the S6 I do "not" get a diagnostics window, should I? It just goes straight to the configuration page.

I have rebooted the S6 many times and then tried to reconfigure again, and I can press any button or move any fader on the entire console and none of them register (but everything is lit up like it is good and ready to be recognized).

At this point I'm thinking of doing a system restore. Good idea?

I also have a 2.0 (not 2.2) S6MasterModule installer and 2.0 S6WSControl installer which I thought might be worth a try instead of the 2.2 versions of both that I initially installed. The reason being that this desk is over a year old and has never been turned on until now and I am sure it needs hardware updates and yet the system is not asking for any.

ampnerd 09-24-2016 02:53 PM

Sorry, just saw your second post about updates only once it has identified the units.

One of the problems is this. When I boot my mac it opens S6WSControl and tries to look for the network. Then it opens up the Network Setup window automatically and asks me to confirm the Desk ID and Network Device. It asks to save and reboot but it 'doesn't' reboot the Mac, it just closes the app.

So I uninstalled it again and this time installed the v2.0 version instead. That one works fine and saves and reboots the computer. But...that means that it is a different version than the S6MasterModule software. That's why I was thinking of trying to backwards with the software.

Postman 09-24-2016 03:47 PM

Did the surface work last year? You said it's been in boxes for a year, so did you see it work before?

I wonder if the modules are all claimed by a different Master Module? I was reading Appendix A of the S6 install guide. Try holding the upper two right buttons on one or more modules. On fader modules this would be a SWAP and SELECT button. After a few seconds, the module should be temporarily become "unclaimed" and available to be reclaimed. Can you now configure?

Regarding your Mac, we should ignore the Mac and S6Control questions until the surface can be configured.

ampnerd 09-24-2016 04:00 PM

It hasn't been used since it was purchased, so this is it's first setup.

I'm looking in the S6 installation guide as you suggested. I don't see what you're talking about in Appendix A (older manual maybe?) but I just tried doing what you said on every module. Tey are all now blinking on the upper right LED, swap, function etc. How do I now get out of this mode?

I did go into the regular utility mode for all of the modules last night (select and swap on channel 1 for faders etc.) and they all checked out on all the tests but I'd never heard of the reclaim mode. Anyway, what steps do I take next to get out of this mode? Thanks!

Postman 09-24-2016 04:23 PM

If that didn't make them discoverable when you try to configure, then my theory is disproved. The "unclaimed" mode is temporary until either it is claimed or a power cycle, if I read correctly. It is not something I've had to think about even when I installed a new Master Module on my surface.

If I were in your shoes I think I would seek Avid's support guidance. I've not done a system restore from the USB stick that came with your MTM so I don't know if there are any lurking surprises.

Just to clarify something, though... When you say you try to configure and the modules light up, is it only blinking purple LEDS on each module or is it all LEDS on all modules? Purple LEDs mean the network communications aren't happening, but if the entire surface lites up, then I really don't understand why you cannot configure.

ampnerd 09-24-2016 04:28 PM

Yeah, I tried the 'unclaim' thing and it didn't change anything.

Like you say, my best bet is to talk to Avid Support next week.

Yes, when I hit next on the configuration page every LED on the desk lights up, not purple flashing ones.

Thanks again for your help Postman!

Postman 09-24-2016 05:01 PM

Two small things I wanted to mention before but was saving them until we got there. Which we apparently will not today! Anyway, did you purposefully set the S6 desk ID to 2 (Settings/Surface/GearIcon)? I'm pretty certain the MTM default is 1 unless you change it. Shouldn't matter as long as both it and S6Control are set the same.

Regarding module firmware updates, I've noticed when updating from 2.1 to 2.2, I had to manually update the modules before the surface configuration would work. On my M10 when I go to the S6 Settings/Surface page, I have a few choices along the bottom of the screen: Config, Update, Export, GearIcon (to change desk ID). It sounds like you are being taken immediately to the Config pages, skipping past the Update choice.

Postman 09-24-2016 05:13 PM

Also, are you not able to cancel out of Config?

ampnerd 09-24-2016 05:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well I did change back to Desk 1, I was just trying another number (on both the S6 and the Mac) to see if it made a difference.

That's really interesting what you say about having to manually update the modules. So you're saying you had an update button at the bottom for yours? I don't have that option. Wonder if that's only something you get once you've already had an initial setup....

Yes, I can escape Config as normal and the modules just go back to being dark.

ampnerd 09-24-2016 05:39 PM

Oh, I see what you're saying, you got a page with an update option "before" the config page. No, I don't get that.

Postman 09-24-2016 05:58 PM

Quote:

Oh, I see what you're saying, you got a page with an update option "before" the config page. No, I don't get that.
That makes sense and confirms what I already thought, that the surface needs to be configured before it can update modules. When I manually updated, I believe I had already been able to configure the surface, but that the modules did not fuction until after an update.

My guess is that something is out of whack with the S6 network settings. Maybe an interface problem on the MTM?

Just for fun I configured my surface with ONLY the master module. I cleared the surface, dragged only the MTM icon onto the frame and hit NEXT. The entire surface lit up but all modules were ignored except a press on the MTM. Now I have a useless mixing configuration but at least I was able to configure a surface without having to touch faders. Can you do this?

It is interesting that all of the other modules now have a flashing led in the upper right corner, which seems to indicate they are "unclaimed".

ampnerd 09-24-2016 06:03 PM

Thanks for taking the time to do that test! Yes, actually I did try that too, rebooted and then configured a MTM only and hit a button on the MTM but the result was the same.

Guess I'll be on the phone with Avid next week then :-)

Thanks again

Postman 09-24-2016 06:08 PM

If you're not able to do what I ask above, I would try it again but with a single "reverse" RJ45 cable from MTM port 2 to the "other" master module port (not port 1 but the module's network port where the second power connector is plugged). That bypasses the switch and in fact replaces all the cables currently involved. If you still cannot configure a MTM-only surface, then I'd have to conclude there is a flaw in the MTM hardware or its setup.

ampnerd 09-24-2016 06:11 PM

Ah, that's a great idea. I'll make up a reverse RJ45 short cable and connect the two and then see if I can configure an MTM only. Thanks for that.

Buccanears 09-24-2016 06:22 PM

Hi Ampnerd. I had a similar issue with an S6 M10 and it all boiled down to having the current version of S6 MTM software AND the correct version of WS Control. In my case, the desk wouldn't connect to the workstation and I tried just about everything, including reinstalling from scratch on the MTM. Turned out to be WS Control was mismatched. A day lost, but I learned from it.

ampnerd 09-24-2016 06:38 PM

Thanks Buccanears! I'll check mine again but I'm pretty sure I installed S6MasterModuleInstall2_2.exe on the MTM and S6MacWorkstationInstall2_2_91802.dmg on the Mac

And as Postman was saying, you should be able to do the configuration without even connecting to the DAW computer no?

One question, when you reinstalled from scratch did you lose your activation? And if so was it easy to reactivate it? I have the activation file I downloaded from my Avid account on a USB stick and had copied it to the root of the MTM windows folder, not a big deal to reactivate I guess.

Buccanears 09-24-2016 07:09 PM

Pretty sure that as long as you have the bin file, you should be ok. I was swapping out an MTM for a new one (buttons fell off...), so Avid had to generate a new file as the system ID was different.

Oh, make sure it's S6MasterModuleInstall2_2_91803

EddieJones 09-25-2016 04:38 PM

I'm sorry you are having trouble getting your S6 up and running....hopefully I can help.

Stick with v2.2 on both the Master Module and WS (different versions aren't compatible)
Disconnect the S6 from your WS to start with.
Make sure you are connected to port 2 of the Master Module and Deck ID is 1
With the S6 on go to a Fader Module and press and hold the top left Select and swap keys until you see Avid logos. press the Menu key under system and then network and see what the IP address is. If its not in the range 192.168.2.x this is your problem. The module is not seeing the Master Module.
If it has an IP address then I think it has to do with claiming but I'm around for the rest of the day and tomorrow to help.......

ampnerd 09-25-2016 04:47 PM

Eddie, thanks so much for the message! I just tried doing exactly what you said. The IP address for the first fader module is: 192.168.2.11. So that should be in the correct range right?

Don't suppose you'd be up for a phone call would you? I'd happily pay you for your time :-)

Thanks

Sean

EddieJones 09-25-2016 04:54 PM

I messaged you...can you first uninstall the Master Module software and reinstall so we are starting fresh.

ampnerd 09-25-2016 04:56 PM

Yes, how do I do that? Sorry...

creativecontrol 10-11-2016 05:36 AM

Settings > About > Logout. Touch Administrator. The Password = password. When you get to the desktop you can simply swipe from the right edge of the screen to the left to bring up the toolbar. Choose Settings > Control Panel > Programs and Features. Find S6 Master Module in the list and then touch Uninstall. Done.

Jeff

skilletaudio 09-09-2020 03:19 PM

Yeah I am in the same boat with three modules lit purple on a bran new out of the box system. The shift purple is lit on the fader module and the bottom left config button is lit purple on two knob modules.

I have installed a bran new current version on the MTM and these are not working even after temporarly going into "Unclaimed Mode"

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...stem_88549.pdf

Temporarily Unclaiming a Module
If you forget to remove a module from the surface arrangement before physically moving it to another system, you can temporarily unclaim it after the new systems boots by holding the top two right-most switches on that module. However, it will reset back to its previous owner after a power cycle if not properly claimed by another system by adding it to that system’s arrangement.

Unclaiming Display Modules
To unclaim a Display Module:
1 Create a file named “unclaim.txt” and copy it to a FAT-formated USB flash drive.
2 Plug the USB drive into the Display Module you want to unclaim. After a few seconds, the Display Module screen displays a “Not Connected” message indicating that the process is complete.
3 Be sure to add the Display Module back to your configuration. While doing so in the Settings > Surface, Config screen, the mod- ule and/or its vacant slot might display red as if they are unavailable. This can be ignored, however, and you can drag the module back into the surface configuration to reclaim it.

creativecontrol 09-10-2020 06:49 AM

It's also a good idea to go into diagnostic mode and see if the particular module(s) are getting valid IP addresses:

Joystick Module
Select + Swap (upper left)
Fader Module
Select + Swap (Channel 1)
Process Module
Clear + Func (Channel 1)
Knob Module
Select (Channel 1) + Select (Channel 2)
Automation Module
Select + Swap (Attention Track)
Master Module
Sel + In (next to Top Left Knob)
Master Post Module
Attention Switch + Link
Display Module
Control + Alt + Shift + V (Windows Keyboard)

Jeff