Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Default Velocity Settings for MIDI (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=241912)

K2NOMII 03-18-2009 11:43 AM

Default Velocity Settings for MIDI

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to change the default velocity setting of 96 for MIDI in Pro Tools to 127, I keep changing and saving but as soon as I open again it goes back to 96, Any ideas?

Thanks.

albee1952 03-18-2009 08:47 PM

Re: Default Velocity Settings for MIDI

Setup>Preferences>midi tab

K2NOMII 03-20-2009 02:20 AM

You said to go "Setup>Preferences>midi tab" but I can not see the part where I can change this setting, btw I'm using Pro Tools 8 LE, maybe this has changed since last update.

Regards,

K

K2NOMII 03-20-2009 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 1370261)
Setup>Preferences>midi tab

You said to go "Setup>Preferences>midi tab" but I can not see the part where I can change this setting, btw I'm using Pro Tools 8 LE, maybe this has changed since last update.

Regards,

K

musicalavtech 03-20-2009 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K2NOMII (Post 1370846)

Regards,

K

It's no longer in the preferences-midi tab of PT8. It's at the display in the toolbar of the edit window. If all one did was launch PT8, change the default midi note velocity, then PT will not save that change. A work-around is to change the default velocity, then add a midi note, then undo and save. Then the next time you launch PT, it will reflect the change.

albee1952 03-20-2009 06:15 PM

Sorry about the curve ball. I was remembering 7.4 and didn't notice they changed it.

levelaudio 06-25-2017 12:27 AM

Resurrecting an old thread because I can't find one any closer to my issue.

New MIDI tracks in Pro Tools 10 are always created at 96 "volume", which is actually MIDI velocity level. And if I save and close my template with the tracks set to 127, it opens/creates new sessions with them at 96.

Anyone know how to make Pro Tools default "volume" (velocity) for *new* MIDI tracks 127 instead of 96?

Marsdy 06-25-2017 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levelaudio (Post 2436828)
Resurrecting an old thread because I can't find one any closer to my issue.

New MIDI tracks in Pro Tools 10 are always created at 96 "volume", which is actually MIDI velocity level. And if I save and close my template with the tracks set to 127, it opens/creates new sessions with them at 96.

Anyone know how to make Pro Tools default "volume" (velocity) for *new* MIDI tracks 127 instead of 96?

No. It's a pain in the a** so I never use the MIDI volume fader. (That's not where you set the default MIDI note velocity BTW.)

I've found you need to write a MIDI volume event of 127 at the start of the track to make it stick which is why I never use it. If you don't touch it VIs will play at their default volume which is what I personally prefer.

I find it much neater to adjust overall instrument volume with the Instrument Track fader so you can use break point/node based automation and automate expression (MIDI CC11) for dynamics.

levelaudio 06-25-2017 08:10 AM

Okay. Thank you for the response.

Just FYI, normally this isn't an issue when using instrument tracks. However, when using a MIDI track to control an external synth that doesn't have the most ideal output level, I find myself adjusting the MIDI track volume up to the max 127 fairly often.