Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   PTHD 10 Crash via MIDI controller (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=341374)

soul 07-05-2013 07:43 PM

PTHD 10 Crash via Live 9 Rewire

Every time I move a knob or slider on my MIDI controllers while running Ableton Live in Rewire mode, PTHD does a hard crash!!!

I have consistently tried every midi setting in Live and PTHD, same results. I have searched everywhere for similar probs, no results.

I have the latest versions of all software. I am running Mac OS 10.8.2 on an Intel Mac/HD Core and Process card.

I think it might be related to the drum rack here:

Ableton Live drum rack a la dubspot: http://blog.dubspot.com/the-last-dru...ideo-tutorial/

Does anyone else have Ableton LIve 9, and PTHD10 who could try to replicate the issue? Am I the only guy running LIve rewire? I could send you the project file if it helps..

The DUC has always been top-notch solution central. I posted this problem in the tips and tricks forum earlier this week, no replies. I could really use a hand here. The tech is killing my creative.

Southsidemusic 07-05-2013 08:07 PM

Re: PTHD 10 Crash via MIDI controller

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulsystem (Post 2059429)
Every time I move a knob or slider on my MIDI controllers while running Ableton Live in Rewire mode, PTHD does a hard crash!!!

I have consistently tried every midi setting in Live and PTHD, same results. I have searched everywhere for similar probs, no results.

I have the latest versions of all software. I am running Mac OS 10.8.2 on an Intel Mac/HD Core and Process card.

I think it might be related to the drum rack here:

Ableton Live drum rack a la dubspot: http://blog.dubspot.com/the-last-dru...ideo-tutorial/

Does anyone else have Ableton LIve 9, and PTHD10 who could try to replicate the issue? Am I the only guy running LIve rewire? I could send you the project file if it helps..

The DUC has always been top-notch solution central. I posted this problem in the tips and tricks forum earlier this week, no replies. I could really use a hand here. The tech is killing my creative.

Hey

We are using Ableton Live 9 in PT10HD with rewire and ICON D-Control ES 32 and it works great. What "midi controller" are you using and how is it setup, How are your settings in PT under "setup"?

If I am to recreate this I need more info :-)

Best
Chris

PS. Your provided link is DOA

soul 07-05-2013 08:55 PM

Chris,

Using an old M-Audio MidAir 37, the one with wireless MIDI. I also replicated the problem using Frontier Design Alpha track. If its the controller I'd be glad to buy a new one and be done with it. But same problem with both makes me think its software-related.

Ive tried all PT MIDI settings, disabled it in midi input filter - that should do the trick. Ive tried turning off all the midi features in PT. Then tried to switch off midi settings in LIve. Not much there. The only thing I could do was turn off the controller, which defeats the purpose.

I can send you project files for both if you want

Sorry about the bad link. Its here: http://blog.dubspot.com/the-last-drum-rack-youll-ever-to-make-dubspot-ableton-live-video-tutorial/

Its a nice little kick/hat/snare tool. I want to use it so I can get to writing hooks fast and not have to spend time with a beat that I can f*ck with later.

Southsidemusic 07-05-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulsystem (Post 2059454)
Chris,

Using an old M-Audio MidAir 37, the one with wireless MIDI. I also replicated the problem using Frontier Design Alpha track. If its the controller I'd be glad to buy a new one and be done with it. But same problem with both makes me think its software-related.

Ive tried all PT MIDI settings, disabled it in midi input filter - that should do the trick. Ive tried turning off all the midi features in PT. Then tried to switch off midi settings in LIve. Not much there. The only thing I could do was turn off the controller, which defeats the purpose.

I can send you project files for both if you want

Sorry about the bad link. Its here: http://blog.dubspot.com/the-last-drum-rack-youll-ever-to-make-dubspot-ableton-live-video-tutorial/

Its a nice little kick/hat/snare tool. I want to use it so I can get to writing hooks fast and not have to spend time with a beat that I can f*ck with later.

I have a old alpha track here aswell as another midicontroller so I am going to try this out as soon as I can and post back. What happpens if you bypass Live 9 and just use the controller for PT and vice versa?
Chris

soul 07-05-2013 09:36 PM

No prob without running Live rewire. Good idea!

I just made it happen again in Live without using the dubstep drum rack, so I dont think that specific instrument config is the problem anymore.

Basically, make a new PT file, open Live in rewire then assign a cc MIDI controller (knob or slider) in LIve and then use it....PT crashes.

EDIT>>>>> I just DLd the latest Pro Tools Pref and data base helper 2.5 and ran it. Same problem.
make a new PT file, open Live in rewire then assign a cc MIDI controller (knob or slider) in LIve and then use it....PT crashes.

Southsidemusic 07-06-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulsystem (Post 2059462)
No prob without running Live rewire. Good idea!

I just made it happen again in Live without using the dubstep drum rack, so I dont think that specific instrument config is the problem anymore.

Basically, make a new PT file, open Live in rewire then assign a cc MIDI controller (knob or slider) in LIve and then use it....PT crashes.

EDIT>>>>> I just DLd the latest Pro Tools Pref and data base helper 2.5 and ran it. Same problem.
make a new PT file, open Live in rewire then assign a cc MIDI controller (knob or slider) in LIve and then use it....PT crashes.

I am trying this out now and will do some different configs and post back.

Best
Chris

soul 07-06-2013 08:43 PM

Re: PTHD 10 Crash via Live 9 Rewire

Further diagnosis=Live 9 Rewire doesn't work with PT10 (and possibly other DAWs). I found info on the Ableton forum.

This thread probably belongs in a different topic:-)

I still have Live 8 installed on my studio mac, so I tried the same procedure running LIve 8 Rewire. Voila! Apparently, the rewire engine in Live 9 is problematic.

Live 8 rewired works fine with PT. I can assign and use MIDI cc for knobs and sliders in Live while recording/playing vocals and guitars in PTHD. This immediately crashes PTHD using Live 9 rewired.

Chris, let me know what you find.

Anyone else: If you can show me otherwise, please do.

soul 07-08-2013 03:16 PM

Re: PTHD 10 Crash via MIDI controller (Live 9 Rewire)

Can someone quickly recreate this scenario?

Simple as opening Live 9 as a rewire slave with PTHD10. Assign a MIDI cc knob or slider to anything. Turn or slide it. See if PTHD crashes.

soul 07-10-2013 09:03 PM

For anyone interested (doesn't seem like many) I've been in touch with Ableton and confirmed that this is a bug in Live 9 rewire engine. They are working on it for the next update.:-)

Southsidemusic 07-11-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulsystem (Post 2061530)
For anyone interested (doesn't seem like many) I've been in touch with Ableton and confirmed that this is a bug in Live 9 rewire engine. They are working on it for the next update.:-)

Hi again

Been out of the studio and working in another country for Universal Music so I will try what you described and post back to see what the outcome is :p

Best Regards
Christopher