Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Feature request: Pre Fader Sends follow Main Faders (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=302426)

PeterScherr 06-07-2011 07:53 PM

Feature request: Pre Fader Sends follow Main Faders

Here's one for you:

Pre Fader sends follow main channel faders...

When I do live sessions, I always derive a reference mix for musicians to pick up at the end of the session by running sends from each track to a stereo track. (via a stereo aux with a bit of gentle limit/boost) These are always post fader and FMP, so that I can mix on the fly to the reference track.

But when I need to solo a track for technical reasons, the signal to the stereo ref is interrupted. If there was a way to have the signal path of sends be pre fader, but have a Follow Main Fader function, this would solve the problem.

Perhaps another way would be to be able to independently solo safe sends and main faders... So that if you solo safe a send, the main fader solo behavior would not be affected.

NB, of course, you can't listen to this ref while recording because it is slightly delayed. I always mute it while tracking.
Any ideas on this would be welcome...
:rolleyes:

www.peterscherr.com

daeron80 06-09-2011 10:45 AM

Re: Feature request: Pre Fader Sends follow Main Faders

Interesting idea. You should put that on Ideascale as a Feature request with a heading something like "Add Solo-safe ability to Sends."

Rich Breen 06-10-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterScherr (Post 1802894)
Here's one for you:

But when I need to solo a track for technical reasons, the signal to the stereo ref is interrupted. If there was a way to have the signal path of sends be pre fader, but have a Follow Main Fader function, this would solve the problem.
www.peterscherr.com

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but aren't you just asking for a standard AFL/PFL solo mode which ProTools already has?

best,
rich

daeron80 06-10-2011 08:06 AM

He wants solo-safe, post-fader sends so he solo tracks while printing a Send-fed mix that has levels controlled by channel faders.

Rich Breen 06-10-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daeron80 (Post 1803908)
He wants solo-safe, post-fader sends so he solo tracks while printing a Send-fed mix that has levels controlled by channel faders.

A standard AFL/PFL mode takes care of this - solos are routed to your designated AFL/PFL path and are not destructive. PT supports this.

best,
rich

daeron80 06-10-2011 11:08 AM

Only in HD/CPTK, I believe.

Rich Breen 06-10-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daeron80 (Post 1803978)
Only in HD/CPTK, I believe.

Yes, correct.

daeron80 06-10-2011 01:19 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten what AFL/PFL was for. :o Last time I used it was on a Trident B console in like 1995.

PeterScherr 06-11-2011 07:37 AM

HI Rich,

Thanks for your reply. Running HD. Can you please clue me in on this AFL PFL thing?

Thanks much!

Pete

Rich Breen 06-11-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterScherr (Post 1804257)
HI Rich,

Thanks for your reply. Running HD. Can you please clue me in on this AFL PFL thing?

Thanks much!

Pete

Hi Pete - just read the ref manual - there's a whole section on AFL/PFL modes -it explains it better than I could.

best,
rich

PeterScherr 06-11-2011 04:25 PM

He he he ok, will do.

Peace!

PeterScherr 06-11-2011 04:57 PM

Ha! Just tested it. Works great! Thanks!

Took me a moment to figure it out. It's all by using solo to send the signal to a different output. And then the solo is nondestructive. Just need to do a little fast finger work on my monitor selector so that I can hear the solo'd signal.

Thanks Rich! You rock!

I'm a happy camper now. I'm a digital baby, so I never had a mixer with PFL/AFL on it....
:D

Rich Breen 06-11-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterScherr (Post 1804398)
Ha! Just tested it. Works great! Thanks!

Took me a moment to figure it out. It's all by using solo to send the signal to a different output. And then the solo is nondestructive. Just need to do a little fast finger work on my monitor selector so that I can hear the solo'd signal.

Thanks Rich! You rock!

I'm a happy camper now. I'm a digital baby, so I never had a mixer with PFL/AFL on it....
:D

Cool - glad it worked out. If you have a monitor system that can sum the two outputs it'll automatically mute your main listen path when you solo.

All that said, I can imagine a way to implement a fader follow mode with auxes and lots of groups (one for each fader), but it would be kind of unwieldy. If all you need is a non-destructive solo, this is much more elegant.

best,
rich

PeterScherr 06-11-2011 07:59 PM

...I guess I could use my summing mixer for that...

Geez, learn something new every day.

Pete