Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Pro Tools 10 Students (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=309391)

michaelmcg92 10-20-2011 06:05 PM

Pro Tools 10 Students

Hey
Just found out that ProTools 10 has been released (god bless Facebook!) :cool: When I bought the academic edition of ProTools 9 I was told i would have free access to free upgrades to future editions of ProTools for 4 years or something. Just wondered where and when I can upgrade?
Michael

DigiTechSupt 10-20-2011 06:17 PM

Re: ProTools 10 Students

Assuming you're registered for Pro Tools 9 and qualify for the free upgrade, you should get an email in the next week or so with information on the upgrade.

michaelmcg92 10-20-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 1846489)
Assuming you're registered for Pro Tools 9 and qualify for the free upgrade, you should get an email in the next week or so with information on the upgrade.

Ah brilliant thanks :D

God_made_me_do_it 10-20-2011 06:37 PM

I think he's referring to ANY student purchase of Pro Tools 9, not just ones done within the past month which would normally qualify for the free upgrade. It did definitely say we got 4 years of free updates, whether or not this extends to a full version number.. well personally I'm doubtful.

michaelmcg92 10-20-2011 06:53 PM

It should be :S Theres a ProTools 9 academic flyer thing here - "If you're a college student, forget about the costs of upgrading. You'll receive four years upgrades with any new or crossgrade purchase of Pro Tools 9 Academic, ensuring you're learning using the most recent version of Pro Tools."

I would think it would include future versions - at least I hope so it was what convinced me to buy it :confused:

Craig F 10-20-2011 06:54 PM

also be very carful with the system requirements

michaelmcg92 10-20-2011 07:04 PM

what do you mean? Like system spec requirements?

God_made_me_do_it 10-20-2011 07:22 PM

Personally, I'm ok with system requirements (well, you can see my system spec in my sig, it's not exactly slow). That information about upgrades is very interesting though, I shall at least tell my fellow students to wait a couple of weeks before buying an academic crossgrade - although we're in the UK so if PT9's release was anything to go by then I would assume it'll take ages before Studica et al will have it available anyway. Is there any way we can get this officially confirmed or denied? I did try asking on the AES chatroom after the live event but my question didn't come up.

CoPilotProductions 10-20-2011 07:49 PM

we should expect the email within a week? why does it take that long?

DigiTechSupt 10-20-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoPilotProductions (Post 1846672)
we should expect the email within a week? why does it take that long?

If we did them all at once, the result would be a server overload. Even with a huge amount of servers spanning several cities across the globe, the size of the downloads and the number of people hitting them would make even a hardened IT person cry.