Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=391520)

Dude1961 06-03-2017 01:59 AM

Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools
 
I am a long time Logic User, and have done a lot of round tripping for Midi programming but know days I do most of my midi programming directly in Pro tool and I like it. Most of what I do is composing, not recording midi input. That might be another animal....

JFreak 06-03-2017 02:10 AM

Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools
 
I am also one of the weirdos that have had zero trouble with PT MIDI. But then again, I was doing midi in the late 80's / early 90's with Commodore64 and I could say it was a bit hard ;)

Dude1961 06-03-2017 02:22 AM

Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools
 
Ahh, those were the days. I remember being able to save up to a Revox B77 1982, finally my band could do Sound on Sound ;)

lesbrunn 06-03-2017 03:10 AM

Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude1961 (Post 2433470)
I am a long time Logic User, and have done a lot of round tripping for Midi programming but know days I do most of my midi programming directly in Pro tool and I like it. Most of what I do is composing, not recording midi input. That might be another animal....

You're not sick. :D PT MIDI, though very basic, is usable enough (just clunky), and I've used it for over 15 years because I didn't want to use two DAWs. I think MIDI timing in PT rather loose, though.

The real problem was the bugs that arose from PT 12, together with the related VI issues. That was when I actually started considering another DAW for MIDI. I've never used Logic seriously (mainly because I'm a Windows user) except for its first incarnation as Notator, which was good in those early days. I messed with Logic a little when there was a Windows version. Many people say MIDI in Logic is easy and solid.

When you say you don't record MIDI input, does that mean you work in the score editor? You're right, though... the other might be another beast altogether! :D

JFreak 06-03-2017 03:21 AM

Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools
 
The only problem with PT MIDI I have really suffered is the infamous sustain pedal bug that was introduced in PT9 I think and hasn't really been killed. It is kind of on/off bug that you just need to be aware of.

What I've heard the #1 reason people are using Logic is that Kontakt AU has been *cough* and therefore they have more tools available compared to PT.

Marsdy 06-03-2017 03:22 AM

Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude1961 (Post 2433470)
I am a long time Logic User, and have done a lot of round tripping for Midi programming but know days I do most of my midi programming directly in Pro tool and I like it. Most of what I do is composing, not recording midi input. That might be another animal....

I'm a Logic veteran too and definitely agree. Clearly there are features missing from Pro Tools but just like audio editing, MIDI editing in PT is way slicker and much faster than in Logic. It's piano roll editor has not really evolved much since 1996 when I first used it.

Cubase has the benchmark piano roll editor by a country mile. Unforutnalely I've not found a satisfactory way of using it with PT yet.

There's quite an interesting comparative review video of MIDI editors here:
https://youtu.be/g8UfGIfuDaA

melloj 06-03-2017 03:56 AM

Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude1961 (Post 2433470)
I am a long time Logic User, and have done a lot of round tripping for Midi programming but know days I do most of my midi programming directly in Pro tool and I like it. Most of what I do is composing, not recording midi input. That might be another animal....

You would have hated it before PT version 8. It's historically hated for midi use because in the old days there was no midi edit window. It was an nigh impossible task. Even though they've sorted much out that hatred lingers on.

lesbrunn 06-03-2017 04:20 AM

Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsdy (Post 2433481)
Cubase has the benchmark piano roll editor by a country mile. Unforutnalely I've not found a satisfactory way of using it with PT yet.

+1. I started out in Cubase (actually when it was Pro 24), and I know how reliable, easy and solid it is. In the early days I would actually do my MIDI in Cubase with an Atari and import into PT.

Marsdy, what's your workflow like between Logic and PT? Can you use them synced side by side on a Mac?

Marsdy 06-03-2017 04:33 AM

Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lesbrunn (Post 2433486)
+1. I started out in Cubase (actually when it was Pro 24), and I know how reliable, easy and solid it is. In the early days I would actually do my MIDI in Cubase with an Atari and import into PT.

Marsdy, what's your workflow like between Logic and PT? Can you use them synced side by side on a Mac?

I've seen others doing just that although I don't use Logic anymore unless I need to dig up an old track originally done in Logic to output stems etc.

...Unfortunately there's a major catch there because ridiculously, Logic can't open pre version 7 files. :mad:

Stig Eliassen 06-03-2017 04:54 AM

Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2433480)
The only problem with PT MIDI I have really suffered is the infamous sustain pedal bug that was introduced in PT9 I think and hasn't really been killed. It is kind of on/off bug that you just need to be aware of.

Indeed. That, and funky timing (not in a good way) annoyed me for so long that I eventually bought Logic. MIDI production in Logic - audio, editing and mixing in PT. Love it!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:26 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com