Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Is there a way to make a virtual instrument detect and match what my voice does? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412891)

GOOOTOOO 11-26-2020 01:49 PM

Is there a way to make a virtual instrument detect and match what my voice does?

Ideally I'd be able to sing and my bass or whatever would simultaneously play at the same pitch, or at the autotuned pitch, of my voice.

I was thinking of trying this with my autotune, which is the free MAutoPitch. If I could make it output the notes it detects as midi then I could just route that to an instrument track.

albee1952 11-26-2020 02:58 PM

Re: Is there a way to make a virtual instrument detect and match what my voice does?

Sounds like a perfect case for the new audio>midi feature in 2020.11. While it doesn't work in real-time. It can convert your voice recording to midi, which could then "play" a VI on an Instrument track. Its done with the included license for Melodyne Essential. I just updated my Melodyne studio to the latest version(5.1) and it works pretty well.

samtrino 11-26-2020 03:01 PM

Re: Is there a way to make a virtual instrument detect and match what my voice does?

OVox from Waves might do what you want:

https://www.waves.com/plugins/ovox-vocal-resynthesis

GOOOTOOO 11-26-2020 03:01 PM

I know I saw that feature but my updates expired just before it! I was so frustrated.

albee1952 11-26-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOOOTOOO (Post 2585244)
I know I saw that feature but my updates expired just before it! I was so frustrated.

You can still accomplish the task with older Melodyne versions, just not as fast.:o

Evil Jack 11-27-2020 04:47 AM

This?

https://www.native-instruments.com/e...cts/the-mouth/

GOOOTOOO 11-27-2020 05:26 AM

That does look like it would work but I'm honestly looking for a free solution. Thank you though!

musicman691 11-28-2020 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2585240)
Sounds like a perfect case for the new audio>midi feature in 2020.11. While it doesn't work in real-time. It can convert your voice recording to midi, which could then "play" a VI on an Instrument track. Its done with the included license for Melodyne Essential. I just updated my Melodyne studio to the latest version(5.1) and it works pretty well.

How accurate is Melodyne Studio versus the Essential we get free in 2020.11? I've tried some things where I try and get the MIDI out of audio that was done by a MIDI-driven vi and it's not always accurate.

DonaldM 11-28-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2585389)
How accurate is Melodyne Studio versus the Essential we get free in 2020.11? I've tried some things where I try and get the MIDI out of audio that was done by a MIDI-driven vi and it's not always accurate.

One "trick" you might want to try is to really edit your synth VI voice. I've found that removing all built in fx, especially delays and reverbs, and playing with the envelopes to reduce release and maybe even sharpen the attack helps. You then create the audio from that and then use the audio to MIDI to duplicate the part with another VI. I've found in most cases doing that helps make the audio to midi rendering more accurate, sometimes even spot on.

Of course, you don't always have that luxury if you're using an audio synth track created else where. Then you do have to go in to the MIDI track and do manual note edits.

DonaldM 11-28-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOOOTOOO (Post 2585230)
Ideally I'd be able to sing and my bass or whatever would simultaneously play at the same pitch, or at the autotuned pitch, of my voice.

I was thinking of trying this with my autotune, which is the free MAutoPitch. If I could make it output the notes it detects as midi then I could just route that to an instrument track.

Albee is right, this is a perfect job for the new Melodyne audio to midi feature. You'd want to sing your part as crisply and accurately as possible to get the best audio to midi rendering. I would use a simple "doh, doh, doh" phrase to get the best result.