Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Volume low when recording with Shure SM58 mic (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=270271)

TaylorT 03-25-2010 07:21 PM

Volume low when recording with Shure SM58 mic

Hey. I recently just bought a new microphone, the Shure SM58. I'm currently looking at using it for singing in my home studio. I use Pro Tools LE with the M-box and i plugged my chord into the mic then into the proper place in the back of the M-Box. I have the phantom power 48v turned on and the input at a reasonable level.

The problem is this: when i go to record vocals the volume is soooo low!! I've turned the input all the way and its still low. Granted I can mix it and compress it but it still has a low volume with the overall music. I didn't experience this with my last mic i was using. I don't know if anyone can help with this problem, but id be more than happy to here your responses! Thanks

John_Toolbox 03-25-2010 07:46 PM

Re: Volume low when recording with Shure SM58 mic

First, an SM58 is a dynamic mic, so it does not need phantom power. Phantom power probably won't hurt it, but it's not doing anything so turn it off.

That being said, dynamic mics tend to have less signal level coming in than a condenser mic(condenser mics are mics that require phantom power). An SM58 is typically used more in live situations than studio situations. It's going to work best with louder source material, and/or being closer to the sound source. So if you're using it the exact same distance as you did with a condenser mic from the same source material(your voice, or your talent's voice), that's why your levels are lower.

The Weed 03-25-2010 07:47 PM

This won't fix the low level, but the Shure is a Dynamic mic, so it doesn't need any phantom power. It shouldn't affect or harm the mic to leave it on, but since it's not necessary...

Just a thought, but do you have the input set to mic or line?

Cheers,

The Weed 03-25-2010 07:47 PM

Too slow for John!

albee1952 03-25-2010 07:59 PM

Are you using a regular mic cable(XLR at both ends)?

sunburst79 03-25-2010 08:19 PM

While they may not be as sensitive as a condenser a SM57 or SM58 has a very healthy output level. As much as anything else it sounds like you may have a bad mike. I had a bad brand new SM57 once- it can happen.

TaylorT 03-25-2010 08:35 PM

Thank you guys for the help.

chrisdee 03-29-2010 02:36 PM

Have you tried running it though a external preamp ?
That should help.

necjamc 03-29-2010 02:48 PM

Other than all the other suggestions here, have you tried turning the input gain all the way up on the m-box? One thing with dynamic mics to consider is that they tend to pic up the source (your voice) when very close to the screen but drop off very fast as you move away. The chances of the mic being bad, although possible, are very slim. Out of about 30 mic's my band, myself and a few friends have purchased, including beta 58's, sm57's and sm58's not one has been bad.

Also, make sure like someone else's comment, that it is a xlr to xlr cable. That will make the biggest difference. I don't know about the m-box, but a lot of the interfaces seem to have very low input volumes. Crank it up!:-)

Becharax 05-15-2014 02:23 AM

Just a thought .... can the Shure SM58 be connected to a line input since it's a dynamic mic or it has to be connected to a mic pre ??