Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   ADAT and S/PDIF together (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=52818)

sean shannon 03-05-2003 04:00 PM

ADAT and S/PDIF together

Is it possible to record 18 tracks at once with the 001? If I set my clock to ADAT to receive the 8 ADAT feeds, will the S/PDIF input click as they try to clock up?
Sean

J. FO 03-05-2003 07:26 PM

Re: ADAT and S/PDIF together

it is possible. what you will need, is a master clock. if you want to use optical sync, the source will need to be able to send the clock source to the spdif device. or, vice versa. you could send the clock source from the spdif device to both the ADAT converter and to the 001. what equip. do you have? that would be helpful.

rnt_u_listnng 03-05-2003 09:09 PM

Sean,

I do exactly what you are describing. I have a Digimax 96 and a HEDD 192 connected to an 001. I set PT to sync to the HEDD (via S/PDIF) and use the clock out of the HEDD to sync the Digimax via BNC cable. Works great.

BTW, there was another thread that suggested it is better to sync over S/PDIF than optical with all other things being equal. You can search to find the thread. So if you have a good clock available via S/PDIF you may want to use it in preference to your optical unit.

Good luck.

StainedClass 03-05-2003 09:36 PM

How can I do it with a 001, o1v with adat and firestaion

only the firestaion has wordclock

rnt_u_listnng 03-05-2003 10:39 PM

I probably need more information on your setup but try this and see if it works. I assume the 01v is hooked to 001 via coax and the firestation is connected via adat. You should be able to use your firestation as the clock master, sync your 001 to this and sync your 01v to the "stereo in digital". Make certain you have the stereo in channel connected via coax connection to the 001 to carry the clock signal. You can check on your 01v console readout to assure you are getting a clock input from this source. Someone else may know better than I whether this will work.

If you wanted to use the 01v as the master, I don't think you have anyway to get the clock back to your firestation. If it is like the digimax 96, you have to use the word clock bnc to control it.

Hope this helps.

rnt_u_listnng 03-05-2003 10:57 PM

After looking back at your question, it looks like you probably have the fs coming in via adat to your 01v and then what? Adat and coax out to 001? If this is the case you can sync 01v to optional i/o and sync 001 to whatever connection is coming from your 01v. In this way, the fs can act as clock master.

StainedClass 03-05-2003 11:11 PM

Thanks I will try it