Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Running Pro Tools without hardware? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=199511)

Slashly 06-16-2007 02:01 PM

Running Pro Tools without hardware?

I am running Pro Tools M-Powered with M-Audios Guitar Box. So I am on vacation and take my PC to my parents house to work on some mixes. Left the Black Box at home because wasn't planning on doing any recording. Go to fire up Pro Tools and THE [bleep] PROGRAM WON'T [bleep] START WITHOUT THE BLACKBOX CONNECTED! Not happy. I love Pro Tools, but this [bleep] with the M-Powered version is ridiculous. The I-lok is bad enough, but this just [bleep] pisses me off. I own the software and can't even use it. Is there any workaround to this?

southboundloco 06-16-2007 07:09 PM

Re: Running Pro Tools without hardware?

yes, get ur black box and connect it to ur PC hehe! juuussst kiiiiidddiiinngg!!!! but the unfortunate truth tho is that pro tools wont work with out the hardware/interface connected

AlohaMoto 06-17-2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

I am running Pro Tools M-Powered with M-Audios Guitar Box. So I am on vacation and take my PC to my parents house to work on some mixes. Left the Black Box at home because wasn't planning on doing any recording. Go to fire up Pro Tools and THE [bleep] PROGRAM WON'T [bleep] START WITHOUT THE GODAMN BLACKBOX CONNECTED! Not happy. I love Pro Tools, but this [bleep] with the M-Powered version is ridiculous. The I-lok is bad enough, but this just [bleep] pisses me off. I own the software and can't even use it. Is there any workaround to this?

hold on.................hold on.........laughter begins.............ok, ok.................laughter stops.

I hate pro tools, but i LOVE their effects!

hahahahaha

and go damn as in.........go bulls? i dunno. let me know though cause i'm interested.

peace

-moto

jre3132 06-18-2007 08:11 AM

Quote:

I am running Pro Tools M-Powered with M-Audios Guitar Box. So I am on vacation and take my PC to my parents house to work on some mixes. Left the Black Box at home because wasn't planning on doing any recording. Go to fire up Pro Tools and THE [bleep] PROGRAM WON'T [bleep] START WITHOUT THE GODAMN BLACKBOX CONNECTED! Not happy. I love Pro Tools, but this [bleep] with the M-Powered version is ridiculous. The I-lok is bad enough, but this just [bleep] pisses me off. I own the software and can't even use it. Is there any workaround to this?

well...no there isn't a workaround. Its not just M-powered though. All versions of Pro Tools require a hardware interface to be connected in order to run (barring Pro Tools Free which is no longer supported).

kafka 06-18-2007 08:04 PM

I've thought of getting an M-Audio Transit for just this purpose. At <$80, it seems like it might make a cheap solution. Has anyone tried that, or is there some inherent issue with changing your hardware around on a session?

spkguitar 06-19-2007 07:08 AM

The transit (or the similar small interface, Jamlab) is a great solution, and changing interfaces has never caused me much headache at all. (not to mention that during the month of June you get one free with the purchase of MPowered)

What causes the biggest headache with a portable solution is the separate hard drive requirement.

JrummerJ 06-19-2007 09:35 AM

Yes, but unlike the requirement to have a qualifying piece of hardware connected, you CAN record and do some work using only the system drive. Recording a couple tracks and doing some light duty work shouldn't tax the system drive too much.

J

sunburst79 06-19-2007 09:41 AM

Quote:

The transit (or the similar small interface, Jamlab) is a great solution, and changing interfaces has never caused me much headache at all. (not to mention that during the month of June you get one free with the purchase of MPowered)

What causes the biggest headache with a portable solution is the separate hard drive requirement.

Hey thats cool news!

I'm hoping in the very short future that a flash based drives will become fast enough for editing small tasks. or that Hybrid drives will allow us to perhaps use the system drive more effectively.

Slashly 06-21-2007 06:33 PM

Just got back home and now the blackbox quit working altogether.
Deep breathe......Pause......

Now another week to get that replaced.
So, now 2 weeks that I could have been editing and mixing or totally wasted.

Thanks Digidesign!

trainwrecktwostep 11-14-2011 06:03 PM

Yeah, SE freezes, gives me messages like "session has reached end of playback" then just freezes. Then there's the "black box" not wanting to uninstall properly when I want it to... And cracks and pops that wind up IN THE RECORDED TRACK. And then they will stop at some random point.

True, the amp simulator is an improvement over anything else I've used. I do like that a lot. But in my opinion,

ADOBE AUDITION

is soooooooo much easier for editing: Grouping clips, adjusting volumes, normalizing, punching in/out, closing only those clips not being used in session, etc. And you don't need to carry a box around! It's a lot more user friendly, I'm sorry to say, because I wanted to be a "Pro Tools" user. It came with the Fast Track C400. I guess I still will use it, but I'll be using it in conjunction with

ADOBE AUDITION

The effects rack is much more versatile in

ADOBE AUDITION

although, as I said, the amp simulator is quite good in Pro Tools.