Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How to Replace 003 Monitor Level Control Potentiometer? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=401370)

taylor4814 10-05-2018 02:54 PM

How to Replace 003 Monitor Level Control Potentiometer?

How would I go about replacing the main Monitor Level Control knob potentiometer on my 003 console? Increasing amounts of noise/static while using...

albee1952 10-05-2018 05:51 PM

Re: How to Replace 003 Monitor Level Control Potentiometer?

1-Get the part(if possible) from an Avid-approved service shop(allproelectronics.com is one). Tear it apart and see how good your soldering skills are:o

2-Skip the repair and leave it wide open(or use the MAIN outputs) and use a monitor/source selector instead. The Presonus Central Station does a solid job and adds a lot of flexibility(maybe in ways you never even thought about). Other options include Mackie Big Knob, Heritage Audio RAM2000, Presonus Monitor Station:rolleyes:

taylor4814 10-06-2018 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2501899)
2-Skip the repair and leave it wide open(or use the MAIN outputs) and use a monitor/source selector instead. The Presonus Central Station does a solid job and adds a lot of flexibility(maybe in ways you never even thought about). Other options include Mackie Big Knob, Heritage Audio RAM2000, Presonus Monitor Station:rolleyes:

Thanks, maybe that does make more sense for the time being...!

albee1952 10-06-2018 06:43 PM

If you do go for the Central Station, be aware of a couple of details:
#1-the earlier models use a PSU that connects with a 5-pin XLR. Those power supplies cannot be replaced:eek:(newer version uses what looks like a laptop PSU).
#2-when the volume gets turned way down(lower than most anybody would ever listen), the image will move right(heard this on every one I have listened to). Its never been an issue, just an oddity:o

Sardi 10-06-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2502006)
#2-when the volume gets turned way down(lower than most anybody would ever listen), the image will move right(heard this on every one I have listened to). Its never been an issue, just an oddity:o

Virtually all stereo pots do that. My Dangerous D Box does that and it’s not using cheap pots either.

Some pots are better than others, but the only true way is to use dual mono pots or ideally stepped switches like we prefer in the mastering world. Easy recall and you’re ALWAYS at the same position due to physical resistors in the switches.

The best thing to do with monitor controllers is to calibrate your system so that you’re not using the pot at that point. So have it so you’re altering the dial between say 9 and 3 o’clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albee1952 10-10-2018 06:17 PM

Good advice:D For me, if I really need to listen softly, I listen from the next room(leaving the volume at a "usual" level). Its amazing how often that will expose a mix balance issue:rolleyes:

SKI 10-10-2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor4814 (Post 2501936)
Thanks, maybe that does make more sense for the time being...!

Shouldn't look at it as a band aid, it's more of an enhancement than you might think.