Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   trim tool selects too much of clip (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=351300)

soniad 02-18-2014 08:07 PM

trim tool selects too much of clip

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

I am having problems with the trim tool and the select tool.

What I am finding is that when i attempt to trim a small part off the end of the clip it selects the whole clip. (see attached screen shot)

I have tried resetting the defaults to see if this will fix it but it hasn't helped.

Until recently I have been using my mouse to select specific parts of each clip/track so that I can cut them out and/or separating the clips and using the trim tool.

Is there a more efficient way to edit? Ideally I would be like to be able to select from one specific (time) point to another, preview the selection and then cut it as needed.

I can't find a way to do this so I have just been using the mouse which isn't as accurate as I'd like.

And now it seems I can't get my mouse to select small enough sections.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks

crizdee 02-18-2014 11:10 PM

Re: trim tool selects too much of clip

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniad (Post 2133661)
Hello everyone,

What I am finding is that when i attempt to trim a small part off the end of the clip it selects the whole clip. (see attached screen shot)

I have tried resetting the defaults to see if this will fix it but it hasn't helped.

Until recently I have been using my mouse to select specific parts of each clip/track so that I can cut them out and/or separating the clips and using the trim tool.

Is there a more efficient way to edit? Ideally I would be like to be able to select from one specific (time) point to another, preview the selection and then cut it as needed.

I can't find a way to do this so I have just been using the mouse which isn't as accurate as I'd like.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks

Hi,

Try turning off timeline follows edit selection! It's one of the option boxes below the tools menu.

Chris

Rich Breen 02-19-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniad (Post 2133661)
Hello everyone,

Can anybody help me?

Thanks

Not entirely clear to me exactly what you're asking, but I notice in your screenshot you're in Grid mode and Grid is set to 1 bar - this will of course limit the ability to accurately select sections that you want. For sample accurate selection you should be in Slip mode.

When using the trim tool, the clip you're trimming will always be selected - that doesn't affect the accuracy of trim operations. If you want to select an area within a clip you should be using the selection (I-beam) tool.

Should you wish, you can manually enter selection values with the numpad-'\' key which will toggle through selection start, selection end, and selection length.

best,
rich

soniad 02-19-2014 12:43 PM

Hi Chris,

thanks for your suggestion, I will try that and see if it makes a difference.

soniad 02-19-2014 12:46 PM

Hi Rich,

thanks for your suggestion.

Quote:

Should you wish, you can manually enter selection values with the numpad-'\' key which will toggle through selection start, selection end, and selection length.
Could you give me more details?

For example, If I wanted to select from 1:05 seconds to 5:05 seconds into a clip and then delete that selections, what are the exact steps I would take to do this?

Sorry to be a pain but it' s hard to get a visual on this.

thanks

Shan 02-19-2014 02:25 PM

For faster and accurate trims, especially when your zoomed in on the waveform, use the edit cursor in Slip mode. Place the edit cursor inside the clip and do the following:

Trim Clip Start to Insertion - Hit a(keyboard focus on) or Alt+Shift+7
Trim Clip End to Insertion - Hit s(keyboard focus on) or Alt+Shift+8

Use this in conjunction with:

Link/Unlink Timeline and Edit Selection - Shift+/

Do a search for "trim" in the Pro Tools Shortcuts Guide and you'll find some very useful commands you'll be able to add to your workflow:

Pro Tools > Help > Pro Tools Shortcuts

Shane

soniad 02-19-2014 03:37 PM

thanks I'll try that:-)

Rich Breen 02-20-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soniad (Post 2133897)
...For example, If I wanted to select from 1:05 seconds to 5:05 seconds into a clip and then delete that selections, what are the exact steps I would take to do this?...

This is not hard:

place cursor in tracks you want to edit. On numeric keypad hit "/" key and cursor will enter selection start box in counter, enter 1:05. hit "/" again and cursor will move to selection end box in counter, enter 5:05, hit "enter" key, then delete. done...

Top Jimmy 02-20-2014 10:37 AM

Use the selection tool to highlight the part you want removed and press the delete key.

:D