Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Anyone know the exact path to delete temp files that PT puts in the drive? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407426)

Southsidemusic 12-04-2019 12:35 AM

Anyone know the exact path to delete temp files that PT puts in the drive?

I have deleted these files before and sometimes they are 30-50GB but I cant seem to remember where these files are and which ones to delete.

This is on macOS computers with High Sierra.

This has been discussed a lot before and many people had tens of GB in that folder but I dont want to delete the wrong files :o

Thanks soo much for any input here.

Southsidemusic 12-04-2019 11:22 AM

Re: Anyone know the exact path to delete temp files that PT puts in the drive?

No one?

EdwardG 12-05-2019 08:47 AM

are you refering to protools logs? i just deleted like 45gb of protools 2019.10 logs after having it for half a week....

amagras 12-05-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwardG (Post 2546661)
are you refering to protools logs? i just deleted like 45gb of protools 2019.10 logs after having it for half a week....

Does anyone know where are those on windows? My c drive just turned red in the last few weeks and I didn't know why, I'd like to see if this is it

Southsidemusic 12-05-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwardG (Post 2546661)

Yes yes thats the ones. Do you have a path where they are on macOS?

Much appreciated!

Ben Jenssen 12-05-2019 11:18 AM

On mac you have two folders called "Logs"; one in Drive/Library/, and one in Drive/Users/Username/Library/.

ChuckS 12-05-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2546665)
Does anyone know where are those on windows? My c drive just turned red in the last few weeks and I didn't know why, I'd like to see if this is it

There could be a couple of reasons for that. Have you run Disk Cleanup (right-click on drive, Properties, Disk Cleanup)? If you select Cleanup System Files you can also eliminate all but the last System Restore Point (shadow copies) and delete Old Windows Installations (usually around 30GB). When PT was crashing in the background a while back because of iLok issue, it was creating crash dumps here: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\CrashDumps. You could have accumulated a few of those. CCleaner also works well to free up space and I think there's still a free version.

TOM@METRO 12-05-2019 12:46 PM

https://www.ccleaner.com/

Southsidemusic 12-05-2019 12:54 PM

Thanks for the info! Will look asap as there were like 35-40 GB last time hehe

Thats a lot of wasted drive space.

ChuckS 12-05-2019 01:47 PM

Just a heads up . . . CCleaner has a Mac version which is not near as thorough as the Windows version, but still does some cleaning. One thing to look out for is if you have CCleaner clean the caches on the Mac, it will delete your AU cache (AudioUnitCache), the VSL plugin caches and maybe others of products I don't use. This just forces a rescan of the plugins which can be time consuming - it doesn't damage anything. If you want to clean the caches and don't want to rescan the plugs just move the caches from the user/Library/Caches to the desktop and then move them back when CCleaner finishes. This doesn't effect PT plugs.