Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   usb joystick surround panner (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=2825)

electone 05-10-2001 08:42 AM

usb joystick surround panner

usb joystick surround panner

hello jl cooper, i have an idea that would be an instant hit for you. believe it
or not, many protools owners are actually cheap or rich and that is why
the mid-market stuff sometimes doesn't sell so well. if a guy has $1k to spend on
your panner, chances are he has $6k to buy the edit pack. that was just
a side note to help set the stage. here is the deal, if you find a
gaming usb joystick that you like and write the codes for it to work as
a surround panner for protools, dp, logic and whatever else you see fit
and sell it for $149.99, you will have a big hit on your hands at a tidy
profit. i'm sure that an oem deal on a usb joystick would get you down
to under $40 a unit if not less. please let me know what you think of
this idea and if you implement it an sell this thing please send me one
for the effort. i come up with stuff like this all the time. i even
started a website for discussion of apple related ideas called
www.appleadvisory.com if you want to check it out. peace, forrest.

i sent a bit to you yesterday about a usb gaming joystick for surround panning only to learn
soon afterward that both motu and emagic are already going to support gaming joysticks for
this function in their newest revs. of course it will take a little while for some eliteist monkey
at digidesign to figure out that this is in the best interest of the end user and implement them
as supported periferals, or maybe they never will, which wouldn't really surprise me. peace,
forrest.

p.s. i used the phrase eliteist monkey and if you had heard my conversation with the digidesign tech guy about this, you would have too. besides that, i just like to mix it up a little. it is all in jest to try and invoke response or change, and those who get defensive about it, sorry for bruising your delicate skin.

Alan LaFleur 05-12-2001 11:27 AM

Re: usb joystick surround panner

Amen, cmon joystick.

It would go well with a control 24, which has the weakness of no surround panning.

Hey, NUENDO supports this!

-- Alan

dcornutt 05-13-2001 12:27 AM

This is already in Digital Performer 3.0 using apples input sprocket extension.

Use any USB controller..ie joystick for surround panning.

dcornutt

mark gilbert 05-13-2001 02:29 PM

Gallery has a professional USB Joystick, compatible with :
KOL SmartPan
Dolby SurroundTools
ProTools 5.1
Logic Audio
Nuendo
Costs $795 list price. Industrial quality, not plastic. Most gaming joysticks self center which makes them useless for surround mixing. If you remove the springs they just flop.

Mark

mark gilbert 05-13-2001 02:30 PM

KOL SmartPan
Dolby SurroundTools
ProTools 5.1
Logic Audio
Nuendo
Costs $795 list price. Industrial quality, not plastic. Most gaming joysticks self center which makes them useless for surround mixing. If you remove the springs they just flop.

Mark

mark gilbert 05-13-2001 02:33 PM

KOL SmartPan
Dolby SurroundTools
ProTools 5.1
Logic Audio
Nuendo

Mark

VirtualMixer 05-13-2001 03:31 PM

The Gallery Joystick is actualy better than JLCooper, easier to grab, no extra useless knocks and functions that nobody uses: in practice, we grab the stick and move the sound around that's all, the simpler the better.

iamstudios 05-14-2001 07:30 AM

Very satisfied with the Axis Panner here 2.

electone 05-15-2001 10:03 AM

i like mark/gallery's argument about typical gaming joysticks that pop back to the middle when you let go. it appears that the jlcooper panner does this too. i hope not for $1k. i bet my original proposal could still be done. a usb gaming joystick manufacturer could oem one that stays where you left it and it could be used for all surround mixing programs for the low price of $150 and in the mean time, i know i wouldn't mind the popping back to the middle implication of off the shelf joysticks if you could plug and play with one for around $30, you would just have to keep one hand on it untill you press stop with your other hand. now back to the higher end stuff, if the axis panner was motorized and touch sensitive like the jlcooper orbiter and sold for around $700, that would be a good product at a good price. unfortunatly the current state is that jlcoopers nice orbiter product is $2k and digidesign does not yet support the full motorized touch sensitve capabilities of such a product anyway. we'll see what the future brings. peace, forrest.

electone 05-15-2001 10:05 AM

oops. correction. the jlcooper panner does not pop back to the middle. sorry.