Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Unused Plugins back to Used (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=402879)

MikeC 01-13-2019 03:42 AM

Unused Plugins back to Used

Hi Guys,

We have a few systems where we occasionally switch iLoks around and a previously authorised plug-in starts to shout when loading PT. In some cases we've followed the "Move to Unused Plugin Folder" (or similar wording).

If I want to reinstate these plugins, is it simply a matter of copying the plugin from the "Plug-ins (Unused)" folder back to the "Plug-ins" folder? Or is it best to run the installer again?

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

BScout 01-13-2019 03:49 AM

Re: Unused Plugins back to Used

The first. Just drag it back and then reopen Pro Tools.

musicman691 01-13-2019 04:06 AM

If you can live with the error message I'd not move anything anywheres. Doesn't hurt anything to leave the plugins right where they're at. At least that's my experience.

MikeC 01-13-2019 04:55 AM

Thanks, guys. Normally I just leave/ignore the message but there have been a couple where I've clicked the "Yes".

musicman691 01-13-2019 05:09 AM

Something I do when I move things in and out of the used/unused folders is to dump the databases only so PT will rescan things on next startup. Gives me confidence that PT will know what's what; shouldn't have to do that but that's just me.

BScout 01-13-2019 10:42 AM

In one studio which multiple mix engineers use (our large S6 studio), each engineer has installed all the plugins they have on each of their personal iloks then dragged those plugins into subfolders named after them in the plugins folder. ProTools doesn’t care about subfolders or even multiple installs of the same plugin. So whichever mixer is working there plugs in their ilok and drags their personal folder into the plugins folder and starts Pro Tools and they are ready to go. When they are done, they drag their subfolder back out. It’s a really easy workflow.

If two of them are working with both iloks, both of their subfolders go in. Pro Tools doesn’t care if each subfolder has, for instance, a copy of Maxim.

xrekcor 01-13-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2512477)
......ProTools doesn’t care about subfolders or even multiple installs of the same plugin.....

.....If two of them are working with both iloks, both of their subfolders go in. Pro Tools doesn’t care if each subfolder has, for instance, a copy of Maxim.

This is handy to know.... I only have the standard plugs that came with PT. When I do install new plugs I can organise these into sub folders within the plugs folder for easy management.

musicman691 01-13-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrekcor (Post 2512486)
This is handy to know.... I only have the standard plugs that came with PT. When I do install new plugs I can organise these into sub folders within the plugs folder for easy management.

There are some developers that create their own subfolders for plugins. Been doable at least on Macs for some time now. Don't know if Windoze users have the same deal going on.

BScout 01-13-2019 03:12 PM

Yes, I've been making subfolders by manufacturer for a long time (so much easier to keep them updated.)

The only thing to be aware is when doing updates, you have to drag the new version into the subfolder again (and copy over the old) because the installer won't be aware to do that and will put the updated version in the root plugin folder. Also, for some plugins (like Spanner) there are additional files that get installed in the plugin folder (plugin mapping setups for Spanner) and you have to move all of them to the subfolder since the plugin looks for those files relative to where the main plugin file is located.