Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   PT10 interop with PT9/8/7 -- Can PT10 force .ptf compatible audio? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=309559)

jeremiahmoore 10-21-2011 11:00 AM

PT10 interop with PT9/8/7 -- Can PT10 force .ptf compatible audio?

I'm thinking about PT10 interop with PT9/8/7. (Don't we all work with a few people who are still on 7?)

So there's a new .ptx session file format, and the option to "save backwards" to .ptf.

But when it comes to the audio media, since we now have support for polyphonic and mixed bit-rate audio, audio files compatibility is not a given.

I'm sure you can "save-in" and recopy all the media, but let's say you want to avoid the duplication and accompanying hassles.

Is there a way to force PT10 to conform to the old way (monophonic files, session-based bit rate) for all imported?

Can anyone with PT10 confirm?

-jeremiah

charles maynes 10-21-2011 04:22 PM

Re: PT10 interop with PT9/8/7 -- Can PT10 force .ptf compatible audio?

in its default state, PT10 behaves as PT9 as far as audio files go- in the prefs you can specify if you wish to use interleaved files....

when you export as a PT7--9 session it converts the realtime fades and clip gain goes to automation.

jeremiahmoore 10-21-2011 06:12 PM

Thanks Charles -

So I assume you can "save copy in" without recopying the media, and moving between 10 and 7--9 is as simple as "save copy" (and being careful how you handle the incompatible features.)

-jeremiah

Frank Kruse 10-22-2011 03:14 AM

speaking of interleaved files:
can you still do the same tricks to them like with split files? swap tracks via mono tracks. nudge left and right against each other via mono tracks. or are they now tied together so that you can't use all those beloved tricks of the trade?

frank

xbook 10-22-2011 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kruse (Post 1848886)
speaking of interleaved files:
can you still do the same tricks to them like with split files? swap tracks via mono tracks. nudge left and right against each other via mono tracks. or are they now tied together so that you can't use all those beloved tricks of the trade?

frank

the files in the finder, or windows explorer are one file. When it's in PT, it acts just like it always has. You aren't losing ANY functionality from PT9 to PT10.

lode 10-23-2011 11:39 PM

I assume the audio files are converted to whatever the session uses as they is lifted into RAM?

I get a feeling AVID thought:
What happens if we preload all audio into RAM? What is available to us then?

And suddenly we have realtime fades, premixer gain, and support for different audioformats. (possibly it also opened for AS with handles)

All of which are fantastic things. (Well, the gazillion fade files never bothered me much...)

sounddroid 10-25-2011 12:58 PM

Unfortunately, there doesn't currently seem to be any way to ONLY process the non-standard files, either in the project browser, or when doing a Save Copy conversion. You are forced to copy ALL files if there is even one "offender". I really hope Avid fixes this.

Danny Caccavo 10-25-2011 01:13 PM

The only way to automatically cause imported files to be "legacy friendly" is to force imported files to be copied in "legacy friendly" format by doing the following -

Check the "automatically copy files on import" preference AND
Check the "Convert Copied Files to Session Format" preference

dc

jeremiahmoore 10-25-2011 08:55 PM

Thanks Danny! Thats exactly what I was hoping for. Perfect.

-j

Sent from inner space