Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Pro Tools 8 on a pentium 4? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=263769)

stoox 01-09-2010 03:02 PM

Pro Tools 8 on a pentium 4?

Is anyone using pro tools 8 on a Pentium 4 processor?

I have an old HP pavilion and i'd like to use it for a different room in my studio. I just want it for me to record demos that have maybe 30 tracks max.

1GB of Ram
3.0 GHz

I have Nuendo 3 on it and it runs flawlessly.
but its an older program.

Cheers and thanks in advance!:-)

RichrdC 01-09-2010 04:37 PM

Re: Pro Tools 8 on a pentium 4?

I'd have to say good luck... I had the Pentium 4 on a laptop, two GIGs of Ram, with MP 7.4cs10 and it would hang up all the time. Elastic Time utilized so much CPU oomph itself that it was crash consistantly. Plug-ins, one instance of DVerb would crash the system as well. Others here hopefully much more knowledgeable than me will come along and maybe have some input that might get you running but probably they'll tell you that the Pentium 4 is just not gonna cut it with MP 8 and one gig ram. Regards

stoox 01-10-2010 10:02 AM

Cool thanks. So was it basically unusable?
How much stuff was on the computer? Any Viruses.

Nuendo is runnning so good i might just continue with that.

I think i still have a license for 7.3 on my iLok. How would that run?

sunburst79 01-10-2010 08:49 PM

I would say 2GB of RAM minimum. i gave my old P4 3.4GHz ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe rig to a buddy and its running 3GB of RAM if I recall correctly. It runs 8.0 but I wouldn't call it a barn burner. 4-5 VI's and you going to be about maxed out. You can make things work with some good old fashioned session management. Printing VI's etc. If I recall correctly the same machine got around 40-50 Dverbs running 7.4. My early 2006 Macbook Pro got 79. So figure its about half as powerful as a older MacBook Pro.

GamerGee 01-10-2010 11:59 PM

I remember the P4 days..

I had to group all of my vocals to one bus for verse vocals and eq from there and compress
One bus for chorus vocals w/ similar setup
one bus for a submix for music with the same setup as well.
One Reverb (that would hopefuly fit for everything)

and a good ole l2.. 15 plugins had my p4 struggling.. and if the machine would paly back.. Printing effects was the only solution

That was 6.8.. I couldnt even imagine 8.0.

kafka 01-11-2010 03:58 AM

I was ok on 7.0 on a P4 laptop with 2GB. Not great, just ok. For adding a couple of audio tracks to exiting audio tracks, it was a functional setup. I don't have any idea about PT8.

stoox 01-11-2010 09:42 PM

Well Here is the Verdict.

It runs wayyy better than i expected.:D

I had 28 Instances of Waves SSL E Channel and 2 Dverbs and i threw some automation on some tracks. I was using 57% of CPU.

I did a test mix of one of the songs on my last album that had 23 tracks. and It did fine.

Although i added an instance of Eleven so i could reamp a guitar and i ran into a few issues. I Ended up using the audiosuite so it worked out.

I think it will be fine. Im going to keep elastic audio disabled and only use it when i need it on bass or a lead guitar or somehthing.