Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Aspera DigiDelivery (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Delivery e-mail delays (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=285235)

Rick Sanchez 11-02-2010 01:44 PM

Delivery e-mail delays

I have one client who I send almost daily deliveries to. Over the last few months, I will send a delivery, it will say "successful" but I never get an email receipt and they don't get the delivery. If I resend the delivery, then it goes through and the first one usually will show up.

Today, I had to send a delivery three times, the third one I saved a summary and emailed the link from my personal email to their personal email (same ISP and locations). They got that right away. 15 minutes later, they got the original 2 digidelivery emails sent from the server.

What could be the problem?

Rick Sanchez 11-15-2010 04:33 PM

Re: Delivery e-mail delays

BUMP...Anyone?

Top Jimmy 11-15-2010 05:24 PM

The best I can suggest is to make sure the DNS addresses you are using are good. I saw DNS issues on the server I used to administrate one too many times so I made sure to obtain and enter three good DNS addresses. It also doesn't hurt to make sure the A record resolves your hostname to the IP address and the reverse-lookup record resolves the IP to the hostname.

Other than that, I can't offer any more suggestions. We too saw unexplained things that never got figured out. Now that the Digidelivery is officially destined for the pasture, there's not much hope of getting this stuff addressed.

Touchwood Studios 11-15-2010 06:49 PM

I got my ISP to change my connection that is has now a usable upload now DD is not sending any delivery emails all network setting are passed I am at a loss as nothing has changed. All network tests passed :confused:

Rick Sanchez 11-16-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 1703636)
The best I can suggest is to make sure the DNS addresses you are using are good. I saw DNS issues on the server I used to administrate one too many times so I made sure to obtain and enter three good DNS addresses. It also doesn't hurt to make sure the A record resolves your hostname to the IP address and the reverse-lookup record resolves the IP to the hostname.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I've had the same DNS addresses for the last 4 years and no real problems until about 4 months ago and only with one client. It's very odd.

Bill Denton 11-16-2010 05:41 PM

What is the size of the files you are sending to the "problem" client, and how does it relate to the size of the files you are sending to other clients?

If you're using Outlook, look at your Outbox right after you click the "Send" button and see how long it takes for it to disappear from your outbox. If you are sending extremely large files, it can take a while for them to completely get out of your computer and onto the internet.

And remember that the speed of an email between point "A" and point "B" is limited by the weakest link. If the email is slow getting out of your computer, it's going to be slow getting to your client. Or, even if it hauls ass getting out of your computer, if you're clients internet connection speed is slow, it will take a while before the email gets completely into his computer.

Even if everything is "fast", a big file is going to take some time to get from your computer to your client's.

And may I respectfully suggest that everyone here look up "Occam's razor"...

Top Jimmy 11-16-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Denton (Post 1704471)
What is the size of the files you are sending to the "problem" client, and how does it relate to the size of the files you are sending to other clients?

If you're using Outlook, look at your Outbox right after you click the "Send" button and see how long it takes for it to disappear from your outbox. If you are sending extremely large files, it can take a while for them to completely get out of your computer and onto the internet.

And remember that the speed of an email between point "A" and point "B" is limited by the weakest link. If the email is slow getting out of your computer, it's going to be slow getting to your client. Or, even if it hauls ass getting out of your computer, if you're clients internet connection speed is slow, it will take a while before the email gets completely into his computer.

Even if everything is "fast", a big file is going to take some time to get from your computer to your client's.

And may I respectfully suggest that everyone here look up "Occam's razor"...

Not to give the same back to you, but it's obvious you have no experience administrating a Digidelivery server. The Digidelivery is its own mail server. The problem is that everything is self-contained within the box and there's no way to troubleshoot when issues like this occur.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/DigiDelivery-ServGT

To the OP: You know, I never patched in a monitor, keyboard and mouse to see what could be seen. I toed the party line that the apocalypse would occur and I would spend eternity in Digihell for doing such a thing. Now, I would say go for it. What could it really hurt?

Frank Kruse 11-18-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Sanchez (Post 1703600)
BUMP...Anyone?

How long does it take when you trigger a "send report now" from the admin settings of the server?
Does your daily report arive in time? I get mine usually at 10 minutes past midnight. Exact same time every day since 4 years.

Try the "send now" thing and see if there´s a difference.

Frank.

Rick Sanchez 11-22-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kruse (Post 1705871)
How long does it take when you trigger a "send report now" from the admin settings of the server?
Does your daily report arive in time? I get mine usually at 10 minutes past midnight. Exact same time every day since 4 years.

Try the "send now" thing and see if there´s a difference.

Frank, where did you find a "send report now" choice? Under email settings I have a "test connection" choice and when I do that I get an email back almost immediately.

Pythagor 11-25-2010 04:21 AM

Is it happen with a particular mail server on receiver side? It looks like greylisting spam protection doesn't remember digidelivery IP. you can try to send email to them temporary using IP settings of your dgd server and see if they get it