Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Virtual Instruments (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Reason 11 is Coming (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406099)

DonaldM 08-27-2019 06:31 AM

Reason 11 is Coming

It looks like the P-heads have announced Reason 11. The new feature is the ability to use the Reason rack instruments in any DAW as VST 3 plugins. This could be useful and avoids having to use the Rewire feature. But you'd have to host any of the Reason rack modules in something like Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork.

Still, its a good step for Reason. What's not clear is whether or not you can host VSTs with Reason in slave mode (via Rewire), which is something many have asked for since Reason 9.5 came out.

One thing I have noticed is that as Reason adds more new features, it has also become more and more of a resource hog, depending on what modules you may be running. It used to be pretty light on CPU, but now it can clogged up in a hurry if you don't have a fast enough CPU.

Sardi 08-27-2019 07:48 AM

Reason 11 is Coming

You can’t host VST in ReWire mode. In fact, ReWire is discontinued as if v11.

Also, the modules won’t be individual plugins. The entire rack is one plugin with the modules hosted within the rack. This also includes the players and third part RE devices.

AU is coming at the end of the year and AAX is on the radar but not confirmed. We definitely need an AAX version as I’m not sure how well the Reason rack will work in something like Patchwork due to the MIDI and audio capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DonaldM 08-27-2019 09:08 AM

Re: Reason 11 is Coming

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2536422)

Also, the modules won’t be individual plugins. The entire rack is one plugin with the modules hosted within the rack. This also includes the players and third part RE devices.

AU is coming at the end of the year and AAX is on the radar but not confirmed. We definitely need an AAX version as I’m not sure how well the Reason rack will work in something like Patchwork due to the MIDI and audio capabilities.

Thanks for the further clarification. It shouldn't be all that hard for them to make Reason AAX. And, if they did, then making it so it can also host VSTs within it, like Patchwork does, shouldn't be all that difficult either. After all, Reason is already a VST host.

having to use the rack instead of individual plugins isn't that much of big deal to me. One of the reasons I often use Reason is because of the rack and how easy it is to build unique and multi-layered patches all in one rack or Combinator. With an AAX version that allowed VST hosting, Reason would be the most powerful VI on the planet...because it could essentially be virtually ANY VI or combination of VI's all in one rack!

In any event, this is huge step in the right direction of Reason, IMHO!

Stephen Bond 08-27-2019 11:40 AM

Sounds good! AAX would be more than welcome for sure and other plugin formats.

I haven't used Reason since V2 :confused: and it rewired into PT nicely back then. Good sounds and modules for the LP I was producing at the time. I'll jump in with an upgrade at some point!

Stephen

musicman691 08-27-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2536422)

This is heaven as I've never been a huge fan of Rewire with all the problems I've had with the input routing from PT to Reason. The MIDI might not be a problem if one remembers to use the synth version of Patchwork.

What I've had a problem with in Patchwork is getting individual audio outputs from it into PT. I can't seem to find a way to set routing to the aux outputs of Patchwork into PT - how do I set things up in Patchwork to it's aux outputs? The Patchwork manual is zero help and I don't know if I want to do all my mixing of synths inside Reason. IOW I'd like to be able to handle Reason like I do BFD3 where I don't use BFD's mixer but bring things out to individual tracks like I would when working with a physical drum kit.

edit for additional:
I just posted over on the Reasontalk forum in a thread announcing R11 and asked about aax support. Doubt I'll get an answer anytime soon. And now I can't find it in the thread but I thought I saw something that it's no longer Propellerheads but something else - anyways there's some kind of name change happening. Here's a link to that thread: https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtop...3588&start=575

edit #2:
Found a page with a bit more in shorter form than the thread where I posted and it's here: https://cdm.link/2019/08/reason-11-new-plugin/ and the new name is Reason Studios

DonaldM 08-27-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2536464)
This is heaven as I've never been a huge fan of Rewire with all the problems I've had with the input routing from PT to Reason. The MIDI might not be a problem if one remembers to use the synth version of Patchwork.

I never really had any input issues routing from Reason to PT. I don't know of any way to input from PT to Reason, though. Rewire has ever been a one way street.

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman69
I just posted over on the Reasontalk forum in a thread announcing R11 and asked about aax support. Doubt I'll get an answer anytime soon. And now I can't find it in the thread but I thought I saw something that it's no longer Propellerheads but something else - anyways there's some kind of name change happening. Here's a link to that thread: [URL
https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7513588&start=575[/URL]

edit #2:
Found a page with a bit more in shorter form than the thread where I posted and it's here: https://cdm.link/2019/08/reason-11-new-plugin/ and the new name is Reason Studios

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page I linked in the OP, you will see that the P-heads have announced the following:
Quote:

Farewell Propellerhead, hello Reason Studios
Why, you ask? We’ve always been about turning the world’s music dreamers into music makers. We wanted to clearly show our commitment to providing the best music making experience, guiding and inspiring people to keep creating. And, the world really knows us for Reason. Reason Studios better encapsulates our mission. So this isn’t a course change into some new and scary territory. It’s about staying closer to the thing we love: Reason.
Over the coming weeks, you’ll see us changing to Reason Studios wherever Propellerhead has shown up— places like on our website, Facebook, Instagram and the like. Don’t worry, all your old links will still work. While the name and logo change, the people here remain as dedicated as ever.

So, say goodbye to Propellerheads and hello to Reason Studios.

musicman691 08-27-2019 05:05 PM

Here's a link to the Reason 11 FAQ https://www.propellerheads.com/en/re...ther-daw-hosts

Because Rewire is going away with R11 if you have any sessions that use Reason Rewired into PT you're going to have to keep your current version of Reason installed. Also you won't be able to host vst's in R11 when it's used as a plugin :mad:

Be aware that there are two versions of R11 and it looks like upgrading to R11 from whatever Reason version you have now does NOT get one the full Reason Suite. Upgrading to regular R11 is $129 and to R11 Suite is $249. Sounds just like the pricing games Plugin Alliance is playing with people :rolleyes::eek:

DonaldM 08-27-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2536482)
Here's a link to the Reason 11 FAQ https://www.propellerheads.com/en/re...ther-daw-hosts

Because Rewire is going away with R11 if you have any sessions that use Reason Rewired into PT you're going to have to keep your current version of Reason installed. Also you won't be able to host vst's in R11 when it's used as a plugin :mad:

Be aware that there are two versions of R11 and it looks like upgrading to R11 from whatever Reason version you have now does NOT get one the full Reason Suite. Upgrading to regular R11 is $129 and to R11 Suite is $249. Sounds just like the pricing games Plugin Alliance is playing with people :rolleyes::eek:

Yes, I saw that, too. I simply don't get the not allowing VST hosting with Reason in Rewire mode, or now, with R-11 as a plugin. The Props made a big deal about adding VST hosting, but then arbitrarily opt to limit it to only in Master mode, not slave mode. Doesn't make sense to me.

Now that they've gone this route, there are three things I wish they would implement. 1)AAX Version 2)allow VST hosting in the rack as a plugin 3)allow MIDI routing the way they do audio/vc routing on the back of the rack. There are so many ways that adding MIDI IN/OUT ports on the back of the various modules could be used. And being able to just grab a virtual cable and plug from whatever to whatever would be so useful! I've made this suggestion to the props at least 3 times. They responded and even asked me some questions about it. But, they don't seem keen on improving their MIDI operations.

Personally, I think they're missing a real opportunity here. If all three of these were added, Reason would be probably the most powerful and versatile VI on the planet. It is so easy to set up massive, multilayered patches with, say, Combinator. There's really no easy way to emulate that in PT without using a lot of instrument tracks. In Reason, its 1 instrument track, 1 instance of Reason, and the rack!

At this point, I'm not going to jump on 11 any time soon. I'm still using R 9.5. R-10 didn't really offer anything all that new other than some new VI's. Its the features I mentioned above that would make me jump on an upgrade!

musicman691 08-27-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2536493)
Yes, I saw that, too. I simply don't get the not allowing VST hosting with Reason in Rewire mode, or now, with R-11 as a plugin. The Props made a big deal about adding VST hosting, but then arbitrarily opt to limit it to only in Master mode, not slave mode. Doesn't make sense to me.

Now that they've gone this route, there are three things I wish they would implement. 1)AAX Version 2)allow VST hosting in the rack as a plugin 3)allow MIDI routing the way they do audio/vc routing on the back of the rack. There are so many ways that adding MIDI IN/OUT ports on the back of the various modules could be used. And being able to just grab a virtual cable and plug from whatever to whatever would be so useful! I've made this suggestion to the props at least 3 times. They responded and even asked me some questions about it. But, they don't seem keen on improving their MIDI operations.

Personally, I think they're missing a real opportunity here. If all three of these were added, Reason would be probably the most powerful and versatile VI on the planet. It is so easy to set up massive, multilayered patches with, say, Combinator. There's really no easy way to emulate that in PT without using a lot of instrument tracks. In Reason, its 1 instrument track, 1 instance of Reason, and the rack!

At this point, I'm not going to jump on 11 any time soon. I'm still using R 9.5. R-10 didn't really offer anything all that new other than some new VI's. Its the features I mentioned above that would make me jump on an upgrade!

And now with Rewire going away what does all this business with vst hosting get anyone? I guess it's vst hosting is only if you use Reason as a daw. It's like they've gone back a couple of steps to Record when it was a separate product.

DonaldM 08-28-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2536494)
And now with Rewire going away what does all this business with vst hosting get anyone? I guess it's vst hosting is only if you use Reason as a daw. It's like they've gone back a couple of steps to Record when it was a separate product.

It sure seems that way. Its almost like they've given up having Reason as an actual DAW, since with R-11, it essentially turns Reason into another VI or plugin, and relegates all the mixing and record functions of the DAW to the users DAW of choice. So, for those Reason users who use it as their main DAW, they'll allow all the VST hosting and such. But if all you want is Reason as another plugin or VI (or both), then you're stuck with only the RE's. Granted, that still makes Reason a very powerful VI/Plugin, given the architecture of the rack and its ease of use. And it opens up some new doors we didn't have before, such as using some of their processors on other audio directly, such as Alligator or Scream, etc. But, not allowing VST hosting as well, seems arbitrary and limits the possibilities unnecessarily.

So here's another thought. Now that Reason is essentially turning itself into a plugin, will other developers create RE versions of their apps like they do now with AU, VST2, VST3, and AAX? Add an RE version as well?

That would make things interesting!