Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   IMAX audio delivery specs (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405877)

Ale 08-07-2019 08:15 AM

IMAX audio delivery specs

Hi

We have to deliver audio for an imax trailer.

I remix an older Stereo trailer into surround. Doing music upmix and new sounddesign....
As we have never done anything for imax is there something special we should be aware of? Level?......
Can someone give a link to place of knowledge ..........

Thanks

Ale

Ayush Ahuja 08-09-2019 08:19 PM

Re: IMAX audio delivery specs

Hi Ale,

Worked on an IMAX delivery last year. Below are the specs that were given to us for Trailer delivery. You should be able to get updated specs from who you're delivering to at IMAX.

Best, Ayush

IMAX®DMR TRAILER DELIVERABLES

Revised Jun 4, 2018

AUDIO DELIVERABLES & TECH SPECS:
I. 5.1 Printmaster

II. All Final 5.1 mix stems:
• Dialogue, Music, & SFX
• Pro Tools sessions @ 24 bit, 48 kHz, 24 fps

III. Audio Specifications for Dubs:
• Please send your final 5.1 dialogue stems treated, placed, and filled as a Pro Tools session
@ 24 bit, 48 kHz, 24 fps
• Files can be zipped, but it is not necessary

IV. VIDEO REFERENCE SPECS (FOR AUDIO MIX):
• HD QuickTime using Apple Pro-Res 422 (proxy) codec or Avid DNxHD codec (under 1GB preferred)
• 24 fps
• Frame rate of QuickTime must match frame rate of audio stems
• QuickTime should include guide-track audio and have a 2-beep at time-code 00:59:58:00
• The first frame of picture (i.e.: Studio's Logo) should be at time-code 01:00:00:00 (lower right burn-in)

dr sound 08-09-2019 09:51 PM

Who is mixing the content into IMAX?
There is no LFE (.1) content in IMAX.
You better contact IMAX directly.

IMAX is a special monitoring environment. Your room needs
to be qualified by IMAX to their exact specs.

We have both IMAX 12.0 and 5.0.

Ale 08-10-2019 12:35 AM

Thanks to you both to be helpful.

Yes we are a not a qualified studio. We deliver stems to a studio (insight) in London.
Did not know that .1 thing. Glad we decided not to use that Channel.

Ale

Ayush Ahuja 08-10-2019 02:33 AM

Hi Marti,

As per my last experience, marketing signed a deal to release in IMAX at some point during audio post production and then we just had to submit our final mix/atmos stems for IMAX DMR. Our audio was sent to technicolor Toronto and remastered for IMAX. There was no budget to fly us over there to sit in/check the mix. It seems like lots of movies are being remastered in this fashion as the marketing/distribution people like the additional screen count it gives on the release.

Best

Ayush

P.S. - Sorry if this is not relevant to you, Ale - but it seems like the delivery you might be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk